Savage Model 4C bolt

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Chesterton77, May 26, 2013.

1. Chesterton77

Chesterton77 New Member

I'm new to the forum, so let me know if this has already been discussed. I am trying to restore a Savage Model 4C (just a slight revision from the original model 4) and need to get the bolt apart. I haven't seen a bolt like this in the past - it doesn't seem to have a simple screw mechanism to remove the firing pin and main spring from the bolt housing. The reason I want the bolt apart is the gun is suffering from the cocking cam slipping, a typical problem on these older guns, and I want to grind a better notch in the bolt housing to keep the cam from slipping.

Any help/ideas would be great.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Somehow the posted images are not clear.

Could you repost them please?

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum- when you get a chance stop by the intro thread and say hello.

Good pictures of the bolt will help- but in the meantime- many of the basic Savage rifles used pins to join sections of the bolt- they are a press fit, can be driven out with the right sized punch and a light hammer.

Numrich (gunpartscorp.com) has a schematic for your model, available on line for a coupla bucks. They also have some parts.

4. Chesterton77

Chesterton77 New Member

Thanks, C3Shooter. I'm going to buy the schematic from Numrich. Also, a picture is attached.

Attached Files:

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yep. Cross pin just to the right of the bolt handle. And yer welcome!