Savage model 111 adjustable muzzle device

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by screach, Mar 10, 2014.

1. screach

screach New Member

Hey guys so I picked up a Savage model 111 chambered in .300 Win Mag, and it has an adjustable muzzle brake on it. I was wondering if it is possible to remove that adjustable brake, and replace it with a threaded brake? Here is a pic of the adjustable one that's currently on it.

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1394426121.859722.jpg

2. screach

screach New Member

Sorry for the double post, but any help or input would be appreciated. Thanks!

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

what goal are you trying to achieve in replacing the factory one for another one?

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Great question axxe!! The idea behind the adjustable brake is you can, well adjust it and increase accuracy. Not sure replacing it would yield better results down range. The people that design the brake/rifle know more then 99% of us about it.

5. Axxe55

that was my understanding. i mean there had to be a reason it was installed in the first place.

6. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

This is not just a muzzle break. I think it appeared on Browning rifles back in 80's. It is adjustable for barrel harmonics by bullet weight . If you take it completely off, I believe there will be a slot machined along the bore axis with a delrin insert. A noble gimmicky concept that never caught on.

Probably need some gunsmithing to convert

7. screach

screach New Member

Yes, I wanted to replace it with a surefire suppressor adapter, to mound a suppressor, and also to eliminate the barrel signature created by the holes on the bottom of the break.

8. Axxe55

i think you are going to find that putting a suppressor on a 300 W.M. a losing proposition. you might seriously do some reserach into the balistics of the 300 W.M. and do some research into suppressors in general before going any further.

9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Axxe,There are a lot of people that shoot 300 WM's with suppressors. They work the same as any other caliber that you suppress. There are several suppressors made for 338 Lapua Magnum's as well as 50 BMG's.
    Even when fired with supersonic ammo,the suppressor will really quiet the blast signature down,and with subsonic ammo,they are whisper quiet.

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

OP, Do you have any idea what a suppressor may cost? Don't forget the tax stamp. That is only $200.00 from the ATF.
    The Quick Silver .300WM is only $2100.00.

You started w/ a new Muzzle devise/brake and now have moved up to a suppressor. The surefire are generic, not cartridge specific.

11. screach

screach New Member

The idea was to take the stock break off and replace it with a threaded one. If at all possible/ doable.

One Shot One Kill

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  12. Txhillbilly

You will probably have to get a gunsmith to cut the barrel off behind the factory adjustable brake,and the thread and re-crown the barrel.

13. screach

screach New Member

Alright well in that case I guess I will keep the adjustable one because it's pretty nice. Thank you all for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

One Shot One Kill

14. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member

I would suggest you to use the original one as the replaced one might not lead to accurate result.

15. screach

screach New Member

Yes that was the second concern I had. I would hate to have to shorten the barrel.

One Shot One Kill

16. Txhillbilly

Screach,I sent you a PM. I have a threaded 300 WM barrel that I no longer need.

17. screach

screach New Member

Ya I saw that, let me get back to you on that, I need to do a bit of research to see what I'm looking for.

One Shot One Kill

18. PWSmk116

PWSmk116 New Member

@ screach, I have the same issue, mine is a model 11, in 308. I am going to a Thunderbeast suppressor. I received an emeal from Savage, she said there a pins that need to be lined up and pushed out to unscrew the brake. On my mdl11, the threads are 9/16x28. I haven't been able to locate or see any pins, will probably take it local gunsmith for help.

19. Salvo

Salvo New Member

The story I get is that the Savage adjustable brake does not function as a tuner, like the BOSS system does. Instead, it allows you to turn the brake on or off. - A useful feature as not all hunting guides and partners want to be around a magnum rifle with an active muzzle brake.

Whether the brake is on or off should have no effect upon accuracy or ballistics.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

use a magnifying glass and bright light and examine closely the pins are probably fitted really flush