Savage MK II G first impressions

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Megaton, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Megaton

Megaton New Member

After bases, rings, and a cheapo tasco 3-9x50 grand total was under $250. I am very impressed with the accutrigger and the rifle in general. Conditions were not great today, it was raining off and on with 15mph gusts but I did manage to put 50 rounds down the pipe.

Sited her in at 25y first, and my first 5 shot group was touching. No benchrest, just leaning up against the hood of my car. :eek: Moved out to 50y fired a 3 shot group to see how far off it was and the first 3 shot group was within an inch. I need to get some bags so I can really see what this thing can do. Will do a full report after I put some more lead down the pipe.

Attached Files:

2. Megaton

Megaton New Member

not sure why the first 2 are so large, sorry about that. :confused:

3. Megaton

Megaton New Member

Got some cheapo bags at walmart this morning and in spite of the 34F temp and snow flurries the rifle performed quite well at 50 yards. Two of the 5 shot groups are 1 1/8" and one is 7/8". With Federal 550 bulk ammo too, can't wait to try some different rounds to find out what it likes.

Attached Files:

4. Highpower

Highpower New Member

5. Megaton

Megaton New Member

Unfortunatley I don't have MS office, I did manage to find some software that that will resize pictures.

I posted a full report in the "Range Report". Very impressed with the rifle and will probably be buying a "BV" model at some point.

6. TROB

TROB New Member

looks good to me. I love savage rifles

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Posting to message board to show how to make pics smaller.
    mkii 50y group-Small.JPG

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Here is another way to post pictures to the message board.

[​IMG]

9. Megaton

Megaton New Member

Thanks for the help tango let me see if I have this figured out...

50y group win333.JPG

sweet!

mkii 25y group.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  10. Joe M

Joe M New Member

I have always felt that Savage puts out a reasonably priced very accurate rifle. The accu-trigger only adds to the accuracy that can be had from the Savage firearms.:)

11. Madderdaddy

Madderdaddy New Member

I recently checked out the savage because i was considering it and when i first held it i really liked it. I worked the bolt and was still happy with it.then i pulled out the mag and was unimpressed. It looked like cheaply punched out steel. I was dissappointed about that

12. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Check the mags on most any of the rifles under $700 and they won't look much different, except a lot of them will be polymer. And that isn't necessarily bad. They work and do the job. I do like the 5 round mag better because the longer 10 rounder gets in the way when I am shooting off hand. If I am hunting with it, I keep the 10 round in my pocket as a reserve.

With Fed AutoMatch and CCI Blazer, I have been able to get nickle sized groups at 50 yd.s. I am still toying with bedding the stock (MKIIg). I think that will tighten it up some more. I may even send it to Savageguns and let him do the accurizing. He offers a good deal, recrowns the barrel, beds it, etc. Torque the action screws to around 20 +/_ in. lb.s and also invest in the heavier gage base plate around the mag on the under side of the stock. A great improvement over the thin tinny base plate offered by Savage.
    DF