Savage mark 2 vs marlin xt-22?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by celticpride2133, Aug 29, 2012.

1. celticpride2133

celticpride2133 New Member

So I have finally decided that I want a bolt action gun, now which one! What would you guys/girls recommend between the 2 above? thanks

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

either one would be a good rifle. i don't think you will go wrong with which one you choose. i have a Savage M93, very accurate. looking to buy the XT22M later on. so either one should work out fine for you. both have a good reputation for accuracy.

3. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I never shot a Marlin. I really like the Accutrigger on my MkII. It's like a two stage trigger.

4. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

The XT-22 took the adjustable target trigger from their X-7 centerfire line and slapped it on a 980,
    and added a new synthetic stock...that's how the XT22 was created ;)

The synthetic stock has a wee bit of flex in the forearm where you would normally expect a synth to flex...
    it is less flex that the 900-series stock or the ATI Dragunov stock, but its still there...
    if you add a metal rod yourself, it stops flexing...but adds weight...so its the Owner's Choice ;)

Personally, I prefer adding a Boyd's Laminate stock to 'em...my next rifle planned will be an XT22-MVSR (Heavy barrel .22WMR)
    http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Repla...9&cat=124&show=12&page=1&brand=MARLIN 800 900
    Yes, I know it says 800/900, they're the same thing, its a drop-in with minor fitting (as usual with a stock change) needed.
    Nifty video on the Boyd's site shows one what they've gotta do ;)

If price is the issue, the Marlin wins hands down...sub-MOA rifle right from the box :)
    If you can do your part in proper aiming skills, that is!!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  5. Axxe55

Big Shreck, i tried out the Boyd's laminated stocks based on your suggestion and am very pleased with them. i restocked my Savage M93r17 with a nutmeg colored one and my XS7 7mm-08 in a grey one. those stocks are fantastic, and very decently priced. i am fixing to order one in nutmeg for one of my Remington M700's pretty soon. thank you for suggesting them and after my two, i also highly recommend them to anyone wanting to restock their rifle.

6. big shrek

Boyd's has really gone over & beyond the call for Marlin over the last two years...previously all they carried were the 39A/336 stocks...

It all started with a special run of model 60 stocks at the request of a bunch of RFC users...which sold out within 24 hours...and so did the second run...
    which made 'em realize that there was a serious Market for Marlin gear...

They've expanded the Marlin lines to include the X7 (XL-7/XS-7), 25N/800/900/XT-22, 81C/D (781, can be modded for 20/25/80/780), 336/39A, 795,
    and now they've done a Camp 9 stock (also fits the 45 & 922M)!!!

Reportedly there may be a 56/57/57M stock in the works...Lord knows we need some of those!!

They are currently the best friend of anyone who owns a Marlin rifle and wants/needs a new wood stock :D

7. Axxe55

i agree. Boyd's is making a very good stock at a very decent price. i am very impressed with both mine so far. have thought about restocking my M60 with a nutmeg laminated one, but haven't fully decided if i want to yet. i really kind of like it as it is. but if i do, it will be a Boyd's laminate for sure.

8. big shrek

I'm contemplating taking my Marlin/Glenfield 99G (Model 60 off-brand) and bedding it into an Evolution in Sky Blue...or Forest Camo...
    can't make up my mind ;)

9. defcon

defcon New Member

i have both and i like them both. start off with whatever is cheaper and eventually buy both. i threw out both stocks once when i got them and put on a Blaser Tactical 2 on the MK II and M200 Cheytac Intervention on the XT-22

Savage MKII F
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp-OPRh7A_g&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Marlin XT-22
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiDqlDdIVV8&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  10. Longrange

Longrange New Member

My savage mkII drove tacks right out of the box. At 100 yards it is sub moa all day. Best groups so far have been 5 , 5 shot strings @ 100 yards, all 5 groups under 1/2 inch. Great rifle and the accu trigger is a nice addition.

11. Vincine

Vincine New Member

My MkII came with a wooden 'tactical' stock. The barrel free floats just fine with the bipod. I can get quater sized groups at 100y if the wind is down.

12. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

I have a MkIIBTV and a XT-22TR. The triggers on these guns are nearly identical. The Savage is slightly better IMO but there's very little to complain about on the Marlin.

BTW I had a synthetic MkII stock for a while and it had far more flex than the Marlin stock does. Yes my Marlin has a synthetic stock and I have noticed very little flex on it. The Savages flex a lot. I suppose any synthetic stock will flex some but the Marlin feels pretty solid to me. It hasn't affected my accuracy like the F stock (the synthetic stock) did on my Savage.

Actually the Savage sporter version of the MkII (as opposed to the varmint version) is cheaper than the Marlins. They are nice shooting guns I hear but I have not shot a sporter version myself. I do know the varmint version is much more accurate than my Marlin is. I don't know if that's just a case of one rifle not shooting it's best or not but I suspect it's a matter of the Savages just being more accurate. The Marlins are actually pretty accurate but the Savages are just super accurate if you get the varmint models. I've shot many sub 1/8th inch groups with my Savage. And that's 5 shots at 50 yards. I've shot a couple of groups where I put 4 shots in a hole that measured only slightly bigger than one bullet hole. The 5th shot was a whopping .2" off in one of those groups and about .25" on the other. I was one shot away from what would have to be seen as a perfect group with both of those groups. Keep in mind that I'm far from being the best shot in the world. I can only imagine what this gun could do in the hands of a truly great shooter.

Marlins shoot very well. They just don't shoot that well. I've shot some amazing groups with Marlins too but not like the Savages I've shot. I still love Marlins and I've continued to buy them up on a regular basis. I also have a whole slew of Savages. Both are really excellent rifles and you won't go wrong with either.

I do like being able to shoot shorts in my Marlin. I can load 25 rounds of shorts in the tube and using the CCI HP or HV shorts it's close to having the power of 25 LR rounds. That's a lot for a tube mag. It takes a long time to shoot that many rounds and there is no huge box mag hanging off the bottom of the rifle to make it happen. I really like my XT. It shoots very well and has a very high capacity for shorts and with the new shorts CCI has out that are so powerful it's really a very slick setup. It's a solidly built rifle too IMO. It's a Mayfield Kentucky product which generally means it will be a good product. I don't regret buying that XT for one second. But it won't shoot as well as my Savage. The best groups I can get with it are about half an inch. That's some terrible shooting eh? I've actually shot better groups with a 60SS I own. But that XT is a very solid rifle that should be going strong when my great-grandchildren are knocking down tree rats with it. IMO the Marlin is built considerably more durable than the Savage.

Just for the record here's one of my Savage groups that I mentioned before. I've actually shot better groups because the one shot didn't take off on me. Still this group shows what the rifle can do. I'm sure I was the cause of the flyer. It doesn't take much to be off .2".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  13. big shrek

Yar, tube-fed generally have a little more wiggle than box-mag fed...
    there are some nifty things you can do to improve 'em tho ;)
    They respond quite well to pillar bedding & making sure there's a gap between stock & barrel...

14. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

I pillar bedded my Savage so maybe that has something to do with why it shoots better. I don't know. It shot pretty well before that. It just kept backing off the action screws and then it would get some loose groups.

15. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

I agree with Shrek Cliff

16. defcon

defcon New Member

hey which marlin carries a 25 round tube? im very interested in buying one since im in CA. we cant have more than 10 rounds unless its tube fed.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  17. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

I have an xt. AMAZING little rifle.

ForumRunner_20120905_183300.jpg

18. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

Found Jeff56's post interesting. Was tempted to buy the Savage he mentioned, but decided on a Marlin XT. A few weeks ago, spent a day visiting gun places looking for a Marlin XT with a mag. Only place with one sold it with a scope mounted and I'd be darn if I'd keep the 3-9 Marlin factory scope on it, so I didn't buy it. Even visited a Wal-Mart that still sells rifles, perused thru their catalog and had clerk call their distributor to order a Marlin XT. Distributor was out of the two model Marlin XTs I would buy and didn't know when they'd have them to ship. Recall other gun places had the Savage Mk II rifles to sell. Darn it, now I'm not sure what I'll buy, other than it will be a bolt action 22.

19. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

The XT-22TR does among others. They hold 25 shorts. But with the shorts that are coming out the power is very near the power of many LR cartridges.

You can see the rifles here at the bottom of the page. There are several models that have the tube and shoot shorts. You can find the ammo I'm talking about on this web page. There is another type of ammo that is similar but is called target ammo. The bullets in this ammo are lighter than regular LR ammo but the speed is right at supersonic speed with one being above it and one just below. The weight isn't that far off either. I've never seen shorts with this much velocity before. This ammo is pretty new and comes from CCI of course. CCI generally makes good ammo and this is no exception. It's a little expensive but all shorts are expensive these days. It isn't terribly high. It's about $8-$10 for 100 rounds. That's not far out of line with the other 100 round boxes CCI sells. The ammo works really well too or at least it did for me in my XT.

BTW Buds had the XT rifles when I was looking to buy. I ended up buying one in a LGS but I could have ordered it from Buds.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  20. big shrek

Me Likey Buds :)

Plus you can get the Heavy Barrel ones easier that way ;)