Savage mark 2 f or marlin xt22r?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by mike2021, Jul 7, 2012.

1. mike2021

mike2021 New Member

So i am between the savage mark 2 f t Walmart for $167.99 or the marlin xt22r for $179.99 at academy. Any personal preference for either? Which one is best bang for the buck?

2. cakoo2008

cakoo2008 New Member

My dad has a Sav, and Ive got the Marlin. I like the marlin better. I just got a ruger 10/22 and would like to sell the marlin but all in all for the price the marlin is better IMO. Mine is stainless because I like the look better but like I said they are pretty much the same gun. Walmart sells mine for $229 and Id like $150 let me know, I send you some pics.

3. mike2021

mike2021 New Member

definitely interested!

I am definitely interested. I would love some pics.

4. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

The Savage Mark II F at Walmart does not have the Accu-Trigger. However the Marlin XT22R does have the Pro-Fire trigger. I vote for the Marlin.

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

I vote marlin. Would be better if the sav had the accu trigger

6. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

The savage mk II DOES have the accutrigger. Quit buyin crap at walmart. The guns they sell are not the same

7. mike2021

mike2021 New Member

I know the mk2 are suppose to have the accu trigger, but walmart's version does not. It's an older model. And I've read on several other threads that the trigger on the mark f without the accu trigger is horrible. Some saying it was 8-10 lbs and grainy. Definitely set on the marlin, especially since its made in the USA that's really how I decided, now I'm just trying to find the best deal for the xt-22.

8. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I'm am VERY happy with the Accu Trigger on my MkII.

9. fisherkip

fisherkip New Member

I have the Mk II and think the trigger is great especially with the ability to adjust trigger pull

10. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

Ditto here

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my Savage M93 is the older one before they came out with the AccuTrigger and before i modified it with the Rifle Basix sear kit, it was about 5-5.5 lbs stock pull weight. i shot mine like that for several years and it worked just fine. it was a decent trigger, just that the AccuTrigger is better. the Mark II and the M93's use the pretty much the same triggers, more or less the same rifles.

12. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Gimme a Marlin anytime :)

13. kaido

kaido New Member

My vote goes for the XT, it's a great rifle and shoots amazingly. We've (me and my girlfriend) haven't adjusted the trigger at all on it so it's still set to the factory settings, which I think is 3-4LBS. There's next to no creep on it at all and it breaks cleanly each time.

As for accuracy, me and her both have been able to hit gophers from as close as 10 yards to as far out as 70+/- while I'm the field. If we miss we know that there's no way it was the rifles fault at all.

14. mike2021

mike2021 New Member

I did decided to go with marlin simply because it is made in the USA. I found too many good reviews for each brand so that was the determining factor. Plus it felt great in my hands.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Savage rifles are made in the USA too.

16. mike2021

mike2021 New Member

I heard they were made in Ontario Canada.

17. kaido

kaido New Member

I was pretty sure I read that, but was a little to lazy to re-read to see it I actually did. But that's another reason I like it so much. My girlfriends fits so nicely in my hands and feel natural, it's why I'm going to be buying another one pretty soon. Just don't know if I want an XT-22 or an XT-22 at the moment.

Hmm.....maybe I'll buy some Savages more often. I used to live in Ontario.

18. mike2021

mike2021 New Member

So academy couldn't pull through. I'm now left with either a savage mark II or marlin xt 22 at 149.99. So hard to choose!? It lowered in price because of a coupon that came about for a local gun store btw.

19. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Go buy the Marlin XT22 and you'll be pleased.

20. kaido

kaido New Member

Go with what most have said, including me. Grab the Marlin. You won't be sad at all.