Savage in 17HMR

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by workinprogress, Aug 4, 2010.

1. workinprogress

workinprogress New Member

I'm looking at buying one very soon here but as always, I'm confused by all of the options. This is going to be a rifle that punches paper mostly with maybe a squirrel here and there. It is going to be used by probably everyone in my family and most likely my Nephew's will be learning about how to shoot with it. I'd also like to use this rifle to learn how to do a glass bedding job or how to do other slight modifications like changing a stock but that's a long ways down the road. I want to stay right around the $200-250 mark for just the rifle and then possibly add a scope to it. I was thinking a nikon but that's a different thread.

So now down to the question, which one would you get and why?

2. opaww

opaww New Member

I got a savage in .17hmr and love it

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

If you're planning on eating the squirrels, if you're using a .17, better hit 'em in the head!

4. opaww

opaww New Member

What lonyaeger said

A body shot is kind of messy when shot with a .17hmr

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, yesterday I bought one. Savage 17 HMR, that is. Opted for the blued steel, thumbhole laminated stock, bull barrel. Free floated barrels on many of these, Savage Accu-trigger. Was $317, including a Bushnell Sharpshooter 3x9 40mm scope and rings- Dick's Sporting Goods, Richmond, VA. Had to make two trips- no one on duty that had been printed and BI'd to do firearm sales- so mgr gave me a gift card for $30 off the $317.

Extremely good reviews on the Savages- planning on a folding bipod for this one. Pics and range report to come.

7. Hunt SD

Hunt SD New Member

I have a Savage in SSt with synthetic stock and I love it. Very fun gun to shoot and dead accurate.

8. workinprogress

Ok, so far this is now what I am thinking. Synthetic stock (would love the laminated but I just can't justify the cost right now), stainless heavy barrel at 21" and the accutrigger but I think those are on all of these rifles. Nikkon Prostaff 3x9x40 for the optics and I should be coming in right around $450 total. I'd also like a folding bipod but that isn't needed right away. How's that sound to everybody?

9. Hunt SD

Hunt SD New Member

Thats what I have. You wont regret it.

PS-- I have the BSA sweet 17 scope on mine but there ae better scopes out there then this

10. workinprogress

Is that the scope they sell with most of their rifles? I've heard so many good reviews on the Nikkon scopes lately that I have to give them a try.

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Can't go wrong with the Nikon scope. Good choice for that rifle.

12. TRAVIS204

TRAVIS204 New Member

I have a Savage 17 HMR and a 204. Both are excellent rifles with very little recoil and the accu-triger which would be good for teaching new shooters the feel of a trigger. Also, my Savages are most accurate with Hornady ammo.

13. Hunt SD

Hunt SD New Member

BSA makes scopes that match the ballistics of certain rounds. The BSA sweet 17 scope is to be zeroed at 100 yards and from there you can adjust distance on scope and it should match bullet travel. They also make scopes for 22 cal and possibly others. They are good scopes just not as clear as they could be.

14. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

While looking for a plinking/practice and sometimes field gun, the Savage rimfires rose to the top of the list. The issue became which model would suit me best. After a lot of research, some basic math, and a gut feel, I bought a .22lr MkII FSS. This is a stainless and synthetic gun. After figuring how much I would like to use it for practice, and the cost of ammo, the scope was paid for with the difference in ammo expense.

The .17 cal rounds are excellent field guns. Accurate beyond rimfire standards. For me the .22 fit better. The gun is incredibly accurate (there is a $40 Simmons scope on it,) with good ammo. It is 'hunting accurate' with nearly any ammo.

I have right at $260 in this rifle. Three new shooters have used it to gain an understanding of firearms safety, basic shooting skills, and range etiquette. For that alone, it was worth the money.

The Savage rimfires are great deal. Caliber probably won't matter for accuracy.

15. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have the Savage with the Gray laminated stock. It's got a pretty cheap Simmons Pro-sport 3x9x40 scope on it. Came with the rifle when I got it. It does pretty well but I'd like to get some betyter glass for it at some point. But really it does well enough as it is. I'm just not the biggest fan of Simmons optics. Really fun rifle to shoot but I don't get it out much anymore. I had one with a synthetic stock before. My wife like it better she says. I guess because it was a little lighter. I'm thinking that it was a bit shorter too but I can't remember. Great crow killer though

16. workinprogress

A few of you guys have offered up the idea of a 22. This is a great round and I will be buying a lever action in it eventually. Right now my Dad has a 22 semi-auto so he has that niche covered for me and leaves me able to move on to something with a little more distance and accuracy in it.

I think I'll be heading up to a couple gun shops in the area next week to check out where I want to buy. Looks like Bud's has a good deal on the scope I want if I can't find it for less up here. Thanks for everybody's help, it is very much appreciated.