Savage Hog Hunter .308

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by caflores, Oct 23, 2013.

1. caflores

caflores New Member

Anyone out there have any suggestions on a good muzzle brake for this beast? I am a big savage fan!! I found this Hog at a pawn shop for $425 with a scope haven't shot it yet but have been hearing some good stories about it. Anyone have any issues with it? I own four other savage rifles all with the Accu trigger and love them all.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

surefire muzzle brakes are the gold standard.

3. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

Does it need a muzzle break? If it was me, I would put the $ towards ammo or some thing else. Nothing wrong with muzzle breaks (unless your the guy next to it), I just like other goodies better.

4. caflores

caflores New Member

yeah didn't have one on it. I honestly don't know if I want one in it or not I really want to shoot it without one first to see what it does. They do look real beefy with a muzzle brake on them. Really nice

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you can handle shotgun slugs the 308 will not bother you. The 308 has about the same recoil as a 12 ga field load. If the gun fits you recoil shouldn't be an issue. Moreover, the hog hunter actually has iron sights on it. A bolt on muzzle break might block your view with the iron sights.

I like the hog hunter myself. If I was willing to buy 308 ammo I would own one. The hog hunter would be a great truck gun. Maybe someone I know will buy a hog hunter so I can try it out with steel case ammo. If it will shoot steel case ammo I could swing 500 rounds of brown bear.

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

7. caflores

caflores New Member

It has a 5/8 to 24 inch thread on it.

8. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Pardon me for saying so, but a 308 does not kick enough to warrant a muzzlebreak even on a light rifle. The extra noise from the break is more annoying then the recoil. Now if you are talking about a 300 mag that is another story but 308s are light kickers.

9. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Why not suppress it instead?

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Why not take it out and kill a hog? Why fix something that isn't broke?

11. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

LOL +1 My Savage does not need, suppressors, laser sights, a bipod, slide fire stock, or bayonet. Pull the trigger and it kills stuff.

12. caflores

caflores New Member

Lol. That's awesome!!

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

just curious as to why you feel the need for a muzzle brake on a 308.

14. caflores

caflores New Member

I honestly have never shot a .308. So I don't even know if I need to put a muzzle brake on it. One if my buddies said it would keep the barrel a little more still. So I just figured I would try it. Since the savage hog hunter has a treaded barrel I would put one on until I save some money for a suppressor for it. What would a flash suppressor do? It's different than a muzzle brake right?

15. Axxe55

it's a bolt action rifle chambered in 308. it really doesn't need a muzzle brake or compensator. they were threaded with the intention people putting a suppressor on them. some states hae made it legal to use suppressors while hunting.

16. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

The only thing I would even consider putting on a threaded 308 is a suppressor. Absolutely no way would I ever put a noise maker on a 308. Flash suppressors are completely pointless on sporting arms, skip all that "tacticool" $#!^ on hunting rifles.

17. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Unlike Ohio. What crap. :(

18. Axxe55

Texas just made it legal to use suppressor last year for game hunting as long as the suppressor was legal.

19. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I won't even consider getting one if I can't hunt with it.

20. Tzuica

Tzuica New Member

Hello to all

Can you help me to find suppresor for this gun ?

Thank you