Savage, But which one?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by jeramiah, Feb 18, 2008.

1. jeramiah

jeramiah New Member

I was planning on buying Savage's Weather Warrior in 243 cal. untill I read some bad reviews on the stock as in" injection moulded and flexing". Now I am thinking about the American Classic with the walnut stock , nice gun! Maybe if I got the Weather Warrior I could get a decent syn. stock to replace the factory one? If anyone has an opinion I'm open to suggestions.

2. Bolosniper

Bolosniper New Member

Buy the cheapest (I believe that's the 16FSS) Weather Warrior model in 243 Win, take the stock off and throw it away and replace it with a stock from Bell & Carlson (Carbelite model) or one of Brownells Savage stocks (4 different styles and my stock preference for this action - 7075-T6 pillars and chassis), and both replacement stocks aren't real pricey (about $200.00).

That will give you a much stiffer stock than the Ramline stock it comes in, and shoot very well for you.

3. bambikillerdan

bambikillerdan New Member

Hey i just bought and received a savage 12fv in 308 win its a great rifle besides it being almost 9 pounds but i like it a lot

4. Catfish

Catfish Member

I don`t know what you`re going to do with your gun. If it`s for hunting you may be happy with the cheap stock. I have a nephue that bought a 700 with one of those flimisy stocks in .243 that put 7 round into a .590 group at 100 yrds. That was with 5 rounds of 70 gn. loads and 2 rounds of 100 gn. bullets. I`ve never seen a gun shoot a group like that with mixed loads. If it`s for target I would still get the cheap stock and then re stock it.