Savage Axis vs. Remington 770 vs. Ruger American

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ninjatoth, Jul 5, 2012.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I see these 3 rifles everywhere for like >$350,they all seem the same,and especially the Ruger and the Savage,they look like the same gun.What is the best one for someone like me wanting a cheap gun & cheap caliber to hunt whitetails with at sub 100 yards?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

At less that a hundred yards go with a used Marlin .336 in .30-30. Quick handling, accurate, and .30-30 ammo is cheaper than .30-06. Used Marlin 336s can be had in my area for under $300.

3. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I would start by saying definitely NOT the Remington 770, so it would be between the Savage and Ruger. I think both of them would be a decent rifle.

4. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

I LOVE my savage axis. I dont use it for deer tho. I have it chambered in .223 and use it for coyote and fox mostly. Its one phenomenal shooter with the right ammo. My only suggestion would be high quality scope and mount.. its currently my favorite rifle.

5. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I have shot a buddies 770 in 243. And its a bad gun. Cheap stock, cheap sticky bolt, and not accurate no matter what you feed it.
    Never fire the ruger or savage but i am biased toward ruger, so ruger gets my vote.

6. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I love the savage axis my cousin has one in 22-250 and it pretty accurate for a factory rifle 100 yards sub moa groups. I also like the detachable box mag easier to load then an internal mag.

7. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

The Marlin X7s are also really good, accurate guns for about $300-$400. I'd go with either a Marlin, or a Savage. You'd probably be really happy either way.

8. wyoprepper

wyoprepper New Member

No to the 770 I had one and I hated it got rid of it as soon as I could

9. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

Buy a Ruger American or a Marlin XL/XS7 rifle.

10. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Dad has a R770, it's dead accurate and shoots well, I wish it had more good qualities.:rolleyes:

A 770 is a rifle that I would own provided it was free or waaay cheap... I wouldn't give market value for the best one out there. Like I said, dead accurate though.

11. mrfox556

mrfox556 New Member

I say get a marlin. I have one in layaway. Can't wait to get her out.

12. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Between these 3 models, I would choose the Savage or Ruger, with Ruger probably being a smoother action gun. I own Savage and Ruger in smaller calibers and Ruger's just have much smoother actions, but the price difference was also there.
    As to a deer caliber. You can use anything from 243 up to 30-06 to keep the ammo cheaper and finding it on virtually any Mom-n-Pop shelf anywhere you travel in hunting areas.
    Del

13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I'd say the Savage Axis or the Marlin XL7. Each are very good rifles.

Ruger lost all of my business on their rifles years ago.Their accuracy is hit or miss,and the triggers are probably the worst in the gun industry.They all require gunsmithing to be good shooters.
    And run as fast as you can away from the Remington 770,it's a piece of junk from the start.

14. keithtowery

keithtowery New Member

I own two Remington 770 30-06 &243 love the accuracy detachable box magazine. The action is cheap feeling and don't like the stock much I am left handed and the cheek piece is on the wrong side but for under $300 what do you expect?

15. Travis896

Travis896 New Member

Im buying a Savage Axis. I have looked at all the reviews i could find and it looks great. Based on the reviews i would suggest anyone to buy it if they are looking for an entry level rifle.