Savage Axis vs Mossberg 100 ATR

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 70cuda383, Feb 2, 2013.

1. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

I'm looking for an entry level bolt action, and have come across these 2. which one would you pick of the 2?

both are in .308 I'm not an avid hunter, but have always thought about starting into it. for the most part, I'm going to be using it to put holes in paper for a while. longest range I currently have access to is about 350-400 yards.

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I've looked into both extensively. I've handled both, money just never came free for one. From what I saw/ felt I would buy the savage. Handles better for me and the bolt seems smoother.

3. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

Between the two, I'd go with the Mossberg ATR. You might want to check out the Marlin X or Ruger American in .308, as they are worthy of consideration and in same price range.

4. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

Huffman, any reason why you suggest the mossberg over the savage?

I've not had a chance to handle either one yet, and have been "internet shopping"

from what I've read so far, I've heard that the mossberg's bolt is clunky feeling, but the savage bolt feels a lot smoother.

Anyone who's shot either one or both...how was out of the box accuracy? trigger feel?

5. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't handled the axis, are, or Ruger. That said, I saw a Ruger American in .308 yesterday at wallyworld in Lima. Guns magazine (March 2013) was grouping consistently at an inch with factory ammo(30-06), many times under an inch. It's 100% American made, reportedly smooth action, for $400. Kinda sexy looking, too. I know what I would do.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Cuda, i have owned the ATR100 in 30-06. very smooth bolt, decent trigger, though mine wasn't adjustable that i knew of, and pretty danged accurate. IMO i like how it felt when shouldered better than the Axis. i have never owned the Axis but have shot a few. and from a personal preference, i like the Mossberg better. for me the Axis feels like a youth gun.

downside, well you knew there had to be one didn't you! well compared to other rifles i have had, and do have in the same cartridge, that Mossberg was one of the hardest recoiling 30-06 rifles i have ever owned! felt more like a 300 Win. Mag. than a 30-06. but that rifle was a literal tackdriver when it came to being accurate.

another good option which i own three of and one in 308 as well, are the Marlin X7 series. much beter at dealing with recoil, have pillar bedded stocks, an adjustable trigger, and have very good accuracy. priced pretty decently as well and built very nicely. they are in about the same price range as the other choices you listed. give them a look at and some consideration. most people who have bought one are not disappointed. good luck.

7. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

70cuda383. by the way nice car. Why ATR over Axis? Familiar with Axis since I own one in .223. Decently accurate, but its stock, trigger and poor ejection of fired brass causes me to be negative on the Axis. As to the ATR, I do not own one. Have seen a few of them at range I'm a member and their owners were pleased with the rifle. Gent I shoot with on a regular basis had a 7mm-08 ATR at range for 3 Sundays straight before last deer season here and was developing a hunting load for it and etc. His son had recently purchased it. This gent owns some fairly high end Savage rifles and a couple of Remington 700 Custom Shop rifles, all very fine shooting rifles. He was impressed enough with the ATR to comment "I might have to get one of these for myself.... has a decent trigger and pretty darn accurate for a cheap rifle." Be aware, only thing that has prevented me from buying an ATR or similiar Mossberg rifle is way barrel is installed in receiver that does not lend itself to easily replacing it.

8. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

Thanks for the advice.

and the car is a work in progress. gotta LONG way to go! especially since I can't narrow myself down to just ONE hobby! guns or cars....guns or cars....I just can't pick, so I have both! haha.

[​IMG]

9. longunner

longunner New Member

My cousin has an ATR in 30-06 and axxe is not lying when he says it kicks like a mule. I own an axis in .308 and it's a great gun. If there was one thing I would change it would be the trigger. I have heard people say that it comes at about 7lbs from the factory.

10. Axxe55

the mule comment is putting it mildly!:eek:

but the rifle is very accurate. as an accurate hunting rifle, i would definately recommend it. as a target rifle or casual plinker, there might be some better choices. now with a stock change, and Boyd's Gunstocks does have a laminated stock for it, it might cure some of the recoil problem. that and a better recoil pad.

11. austin92

austin92 New Member

I've heard nothing but good when it comes to the ruger american series. It's what I decided on for a budget bolt action. Go to a gander mtn or lgs and just ask to hold different brands and see what suits you best and for me it's the ruger American. Between your 2 choices I've heard nothing good about mossberg rifles, I'd go axis

12. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

I came across an older savage model 11 in my searches today, the owner said it's pre-accutrigger. How would that compare to a new axis?

13. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I shot 110 in .270win. It was a little snappy, andt could use a trigger job, but a good gun overall.

14. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

Since I'm always looking at bottom dollar, and my budget, which rifle would you say is a better value or worth more?

a nearly new Savage Axis in .308 with about 20 rounds fired, no optics just the mounts that came with the rifle, basically just the rifle and the cardboard box it came in.

vs

used Savage model 11 in .308. old enough that it does not have the accu-trigger, and is well used. This one comes with a new vortex diamondback scope with a BDC reticule and EGW rings/base

I'm new to bolt actions and looking to do some long range target shooting, with the option of pulling double duty and getting into deer hunting. longest range I have available to shoot now is 400 yards for targets.

both rifles were offered in trade for my well used beretta 92 that's old enough that it has a straight dust cover, all metal parts, etc. (built around 1992 or 1993)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  15. Axxe55

Cuda, now this is strictly an opinion as i can't see the rifles and their condition, but if priced the same, i think i would go with the Model 11 over the Axis. as i said before, to me the Axis feels more like a youth rifle. plus the scope is pretty decent which makes it seem better to me. and even though it's an older non-acutrigger model, you can still upgrade the trigger later with an aftermarket one from several suppliers.

those are just my observations based on your information given. hope this helps. good luck and let us know which one you picked.

16. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

Thanks for the insight guys. I passed on the Mossberg and on the Axis, and went with the model 11.

What swayed my choice was that on Gander Mountain's website, the model 11 was about $200 more than the Axis brand new, so I THINK that means it's a higher quality piece....haha!

and although the Axis is practically NIB, and the Model 11is older, the Axis did not come with glass, but the Model 11 did.

I traded straight across my old 92FS, 2 mags, and 30 rounds, for the Model 11 and scope, and a box of 20 rounds of .308 winchester white box ammo.

Initially, I can tell that I'm going to want to do something with the trigger. it's crisp without any noticable creep, but it is a bit of a stiffer pull than I think I want. I'm also going to have to get a level to center up the scope, I can tell by looking through it, that it's not quite "square" in the base, it's rotated slightly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]