Savage Axis II 300 Blackout : Add ons

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by Green Lantern, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

DSC03087.JPG DSC03088.JPG Put a sound forwarder and bi-pod and a scope on so far. Gonna take it apart and mount a lower rail for a vertical hand grip in the short future.

DSC03087.JPG DSC03088.JPG

PeeJay1313 and Rifling82 like this.
  2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

I just gotta know! Why would anyone want to put a vertical hand grip on a bolt action rifle?
    That is just STUPID!!!

3. Green Lantern

The word you have used here seems rude. :(

A place to pull the gun more easily into my shoulder. Being new to guns just 2 years ago and the fact this is my first bolt action, .... What important issue am I missing? :)

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

It's totally not needed. Look around,I've been shooting close to 50 years and have never in my life seen anyone install a vertical grip on a bolt action rifle.

Hey,It's your gun,do whatever you want to it. Just don't be surprised when everyone laughs at you when you do it.

5. Green Lantern

With all due respect, you didn't answer why I shouldn't.

Is there a technical reason or just because no one has done it?

6. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

It isn’t necessary, will interfere with a proper hold on the rifle, and adds unnecessary weight to the rifle.

That said, if you had a real and refined purpose for the rifle which would drive the need, then it would make sense to put one on. An example would be if you put a vertical grip on the rifle because you intend to shoot from barricades, and want the vertical grip as a barrier stop.

You have a 300 Blackout. A round designed for a specific purpose: Suppressed s short range sniping. It was designed as a subsonic round. Yes you can load it up, with lighter bullets and go supersonic. Resulting in a round with ballistics that a a little less impressive than the venerable 30-30. But to what end?

I get the impression of a fairly inexperienced shooter, with a bolt action rifle which only makes sense as a short range suppressed sniper rifle, trying to “legoize” a stock rifle because they can. If you want it add something on the front of your rifle, a bipod makes more sense in most shooting situations. Unless of course your intending to use it in the suppressed sniper mode, and shoot from a barricade.

PaBushMan likes this.
  7. Green Lantern

Yep ... that's me. Always looking to you guys for advice. I put a grip on my 995ts and thought it works out well for me. So it seems like the way to go on this one.

Maybe not then?

8. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Keep the bi-pod on. If you need extra grip to pull the gun in tighter, A sling works too. I have bi-pods that also can attach a sling too.