Savage axis bolt in model 10 action?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by boots83, Jun 20, 2014.

1. boots83

boots83 New Member

I just bought a model 10 savage on gun broker. I stripped the whole gun to inspect and clean the whole thing well including disassembling the bolt. When I got to the bolt it has a rear spring assembly on the firing pin like the axis bolts instead of the typical model 10 bolt where the spring is attached to the pin and there is a sleeve at the rear of the bolt assembly.
    I looked up the action number on savage and it conformed it is a model 10 action made in 2012.
    My question is could someone have swapped the bolts in this gun and put an axis bolt in the 10 action?
    Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The bolt head should have the same serial # on it as the action,if it doesn't,it's not the factory bolt.
    Can you post some pictures of it disassembled? I haven't heard of Savage changing anything on the 10/110 bolts,but that doesn't mean they didn't.

This is what it should look like -
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014

3. boots83

boots83 New Member

I did see the last 4 digits of the serial on the bolt head, but not the whole number.
    Here is my bolt disassembled.
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1403388980.015943.jpg
    The parts schematic for my serial number on the savage website shows your style bolt.
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1403389056.174414.jpg
    Says it was manufactures 5/23/2012 so I wouldn't think the bolt would have changed then changed back?
    Thanks for the help

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

usually they just use the last four or five digits of the SN etched or engraved on the bolt to identify it.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If the last 4 numbers match it is the bolt that belongs in the gun. Anytime you see something funny about a used gun call the manufacturer. The advice you get from an internet forum is worth exactly what you paid for it or as my wife says "It's on the internet it must be true." [sarcasm]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

as long as the information is truthful and factual, it can be worth a lot to those seeking that information.

the problem is there are too many "so-called experts" posting misinformation or incorrect information on things they have no knowledge of that make it bad for those seeking good information.

7. Txhillbilly

I'd call Savage and ask them if they changed the design on the newer 10/110 series rifles.All of mine are older rifles except for the new Varmint action that I built my 6.5 Creedmoor with,and I haven't needed to disassemble the bolt on it to see if it's different.

8. boots83

boots83 New Member

I must admit I'm a little disappointed with savage. I called today and they couldn't tell me anything other than what I saw on the schematic. The lady I talked to couldn't even tell me when or if they changed the design of the firing pin springs and removed that sleeve.

9. Txhillbilly

Boots,call Savage back,and ask for Effie Sullivan. If she can't help you find an answer,then I don't know what to tell you.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats been my experience with savage cs. if you buy a savage your pretty much buying as is with no real support.

i bought a savage 10 fcpsr and after 5 calls the best i got out of em was it was my fault the for not pulling the trigger correctly for light strikes non firing.

so determining i was on my own i disassembled the bolt found the bent striker assembly. ordered a new bolt assembly from midway. even after sending in video evidence of the out of round bent striker assembly i got its not savage's fault from the cs rep...

anyway the guns are great when they work but if you have an issue the most common response is denial in my experience. the model 10 is now the wife's and i have one of their mark2 22lr which was not assembled correctly. once more round the denial of responsibility with savage cs. took the trigger assembly apart reassembled correctly works fine now.

good products craptastic customer service.

so i feel your pain dealng with savage isnt fun