Savage axis ar stock finished from newbie

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by plutonium, Apr 17, 2013.

1. plutonium

plutonium New Member

Hello guys,, i am a newbie.. just started with the gun hobbie in dec 2012..but of course i always owned a shotgun for home protection for over 20 years.. kinda fixed it up a little moss 500[​IMG] anyway i got a savage axis before doing any research...well we know about that stinky stock with no aftermarket units.. so i saw a ar buffer adapter from exile machine and just looking at it online it looked like it could be mated to the existing stock on the axis ..so i took a chance and went for it... well here are the pictures[​IMG] ar buffer adapter[​IMG] start cuttiing and fitting a little at a time.studying the fit[​IMG]

2. plutonium

plutonium New Member

start cutting and fitting a little at a time studying how to mate the two units[​IMG]first fit before epoxy but to long for magpul stock[​IMG]

3. plutonium

plutonium New Member

had to cut down and trim to bare minimum without loosing the bonding area needed for recoil[​IMG] ok here it is finished and painted[​IMG]

4. plutonium

plutonium New Member

here is the savage axis complete.. i also beefed up the forearm with two 1/4 by 7 inch steel rods embedded in epoxy and added 2 picatinny rails on forearm bolted in and epoxied in with the steel rods... added rubber rail covers for great grip and feel[​IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG] i had to cut the buffer tube and stock down to make it short enough for proper eye relief... but that caused me to loose the 6 position stock action..i am sure the gun is 3 pounds heavier.,..also behind the trigger the stock is completely filled with epoxy for strength sav 30-06

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  5. E7018Dan

E7018Dan New Member

Looks pretty damn good sir. Have you shot it yet? Fit and comfort? Also I was wondering what kind of epoxy you used to bed those rods. Ive thought about doing the same but with aluminum arrow shafts ive got laying around.

6. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

LOL, rather ingenious of you on cutting off butt and putting on a new one. Very creative! However, curious if you did anything to strengthen area of original stock, where rear of trigger guard mates to it. Yea, forearm of Axis stock is flimsy, but so is the part of stock where trigger guard fits.

7. plutonium

plutonium New Member

Behind trigger guard to top safety lever is completely filled with epoxy..... one solid piece no voids... thought of that I know your concern

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  8. dlh2689

dlh2689 New Member

That turned out looking pretty good. I like the idea of cutting off the butt and putting a new one on. I might have to try that.

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I like what you did with the Mossy! Very nice.