Savage Axis .243 opinions

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by KentuckyN8, Nov 7, 2012.

1. KentuckyN8

KentuckyN8 New Member

Give me your opinions on Savage Axis .243. Thanks

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Its a good gun. Accurate, light, works smooth, good fit and finish, and very versatile. IMHO its not as good as the marlin x7s for the same money. Both are very accurate w the x7 being slightly more so, both are very well made, and both will do anything you ask of em pretty much. My biggest personal problem w the axxis is the stock feels really weird and doesn't shoulder well to me.

3. KentuckyN8

KentuckyN8 New Member

I was just wondering because I had gotten one for my birthday and was going to take it hunting opening day which is Saturday. What round would you suggest?

4. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

Like Marlinman, think the Marlin X bolt is a better rifle. Own a couple of Marlin X bolts, two Stevens 200s and one Axis. I've listed them in order that I prefer them from best to least. Only advantage Axis has over them is its detachable magazine.

If you do buy the Axis, make sure the scope you buy can span the wide spacing of the scope mounts on it or be prepared to buy offset mounts/rings for it.

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Anything 100 grain that IS NOT a cor lokt

6. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Doesn't the cor-lokt usually get good reviews.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the Savage Axis is good rifle, that is pretty accurate and well made and also decently priced.

8. Werminator

Werminator Member

I have had great success with the 80 grain Federal Power Shok softpoints. My father uses 100grainers. Both have done the job admirably...

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya......them people don't know good bullets. Cor lokts don't open, explode on impact, open partially, or don't even impact cuz they explode in the air.

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Power shoks are an awesome round. As is the vital shoks and fusions

11. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Any 100 gr SP boat tail will get the job done. Now gun prices are dropping I am planning to purchase a 5.56 Axis. Buds has them for $269 - Going to look locally before purchasing from Buds. It's not a big deal for a FFL anymore. Our sporting clay club has started doing FFL's on long guns for a donation to the quail fund. If I donate enough to buy four more birds everyone is happy.

We have been getting 25 with nesting cages for around $100. Every flight trained bird you release in your area has a great chance of nesting and raising truly wild birds. Just keep breeding chicks! About 10 days after birth they go in the flight pen at least 2 times a week. Daily is better!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  12. KentuckyN8

KentuckyN8 New Member

I just bought a box of Winchester Power Max Bonded 100gr. Was that a good choice?

13. KentuckyN8

KentuckyN8 New Member

Thank you for your help Marlinman. Being that you are ' Marlinman' I have a Marlin .444, what round would you advise for it?

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

What usage are you using it for? Id shoit anywheres from 180-280 gr. But I reload plus cast my own bullets

15. KentuckyN8

KentuckyN8 New Member

I would be using it for Deer hunting. Was using Remington soft flat nosed but dont like em and I dont know the first thing about reloading. What about Hornady LeveRolution?

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

They are AWESOME!!!! They shoot great and do awesome levels of destruction

17. wharvey

wharvey New Member

Don't mean to be a smart *€£, but you're taking it hunting without having fired it? You are going to sight it in, right?

18. KentuckyN8

KentuckyN8 New Member

Sighted it in today (not the first time I shot it) using Winchester Power Max Bonded 100gr. At 60 yards out at a spot no bigger than a golf ball on a piece of plywood and shot 3 times and had all 3 holes within a 1/4 inch from one another inside the circle. Think Ill stay with those!

19. KentuckyN8

KentuckyN8 New Member

Marlinman thanks for all your help and input. Helped ALOT!