Savage Axis .223

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by BlackBeautyF150, Jun 15, 2012.

1. BlackBeautyF150

BlackBeautyF150 New Member

Saw one of these at academy and was wondering how accurate they are. Anybody have any experience with one?

2. brasskicker

brasskicker New Member

I've only shot my friends but I guess it was decent. Savages aren't usually my first choice but I'm still ok with them. The axis is a good shooter with a decent stock and decent action. With my experience I'd give it a 7.5 or 8/10 as far as budget rifles go and probably a 6.5/10 overall. Still it's a great shooter for it's price.

3. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Savage accuracy and affordable.

Trigger sucks

4. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Made my Axis trigger decent for $2, but an aftermarket one with adjustability can be had for about $70 (Rifle Basix).

5. BlackBeautyF150

Other than the trigger how does it shoot?

6. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

I get sub moa groups with my handloads

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

What is sub MOA? If the Manufacturer says 2" that would be their MOA.
    Sub MOA (1" is not really that impressive) At 100 yards.

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have this zeroed at 200 so its a tad high at this 100 yard target using cheapo Remington UMC's
    1" squares . I also did the $2-3 trigger job and I ended up with a 3.18# trigger . I am more than happy with my Axis , cheap, accurate and reliable . The action on this rifle is much smoother than a Remmy 770 which is about the same money

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  9. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

That's an inaccurate depiction of moa. 1" for every hundred yards.

Savage barrels are world renowned for accuracy and consistency.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the Savage Axis is a very good budget priced rifle with very good accuracy and well made. i have shot a few of my friends, and can say that they are impressive, considering their price. topped with a quality scope, they are a fine hunting rifle. IMO, worth every penny spent. my only complaint from them is simple ergonomics, the Marlin X7 series shoulders better for me that the Axis, but all in all, a very nice budget rifle, that doesn't look or perform like a budget rifle in the least. so in short, i would definately recommend it.

Purehavoc, the M770 isn't anywhere near the rifle the Savage Axis is. i owned one M770 in the past, and was glad to get rid of it!:eek:

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

You sir are exactly right but they are priced relatively close and for the money the Savage is by far the better gun even with the heavy trigger . The Remmys trigger is even worse and the action was not smooth , my buddy sold his for a axis also

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

given that they are pretty close in price, i would buy the Axis over the 770 without hesitation. personally i do find the triggers on my X7's better than the Axis triggers. but like i said, all in all the Axis is a very fine rifle for the price.

BTW, good shooting with yours! very nice group, you should consider reloading for it.

13. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

My Axis in .243 shot right around 1/2" at 100 yards with 80 or 100 gr factory WW ammo.
    But..............I did a trigger job, stiffened the forend, had a 12X scope on it, added a cheekpiece for better fit and.............straightened the crooked bedding lug in the stock.

14. BlackBeautyF150

What's the 2$ trigger job?

15. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

i've been gettin alot of mileage out of this pic :D

my Axis .223 at 100 yards, off a bipod shooting cheap ultramax 55gr. hollow points:
    [​IMG]

i think a gun vise or a better shot than me could have tightened that group up some but i'm still really happy with it

16. Travis896

Travis896 New Member

I just bought an axis in .308 and i love it so far. It was kind of a pain trying to find a scope and rings because of the mounts. I still have to put my head farther towards the front than i would like but i think theres a lot more pros than cons.

17. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

Got the same rifle and had the same problem. I could only find some very high dollar rings. Lol. I don't remember the brand.

18. Travis896

Travis896 New Member

I finally got my scope mounted and i just have to take it to the range.