Savage Axis .223 accuracy

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by kaido, Jan 21, 2012.

1. kaido

kaido New Member

Tittle/Subject basically gives this one away.
    Just trying to find out if anyone has shot/owns one and what kind of (100yard) groups they could get out of it.

Just another quick one, I've heard that when a bi-pod is mounted to it that the stock tends to flex and might touch the barrel.
    Would with effect the accuracy by a noticeable amount?

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Savage axis .223, cheap remington UMC fmj at 100 yards . It's a little high but keep in mind its zeroed for 200 yards . You can just about cover those 3 shots with a nickel and I have a bipod on my rifle . Great accurate gun , my only complaint was heavy trigger pull which I took care of myself in about 30 minutes and $3, Also those target squares are 1"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

3. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I got one in 22-250 and with cheap remington express every accurate

ForumRunner_20120121_091706.jpg

The many middle group is a three shot then I pulled the last and the other groups open up cuz my barrel was so hot u can cook a egg on it

4. kaido

kaido New Member

Well, I'm glad to hear that this gun can get sub MOA groups.
    I was sure it could since most can, but I seen one review where the guy said he was only able to get a group of no smaller then 2"....to be fair he did say it was him and. It the rifle. glad to see that the bi-pod doesn't seem to through it off much if any.

I was just looking for someone who was able to get some good shots out of it. Kind of glad to see its possible since I'm planning on buying one some time in the near feature.

5. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I say get one they r great guns but the trigger is little on the heavy side but not a big deal helps slow down your shots

6. kaido

kaido New Member

If I had the money, I think I would of already ordered one a little while ago. I was about to grab it this pay, but my hours got cut so only had half what I was expecting. =(

7. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

That sucks

8. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

I have a .223 savage axis with a 4x12 redfield scope. I can get under .5 groups shooting my 50 grain handloads.

9. godale

godale New Member

looks like good shooting to me. i think savage has great out of the box accuracy. think we are going to buy my sone one in a couple of weeks

10. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

this was my group at 100 yards, off a bipod, using cheap ultramax 55 gr. soft points. the 3 on the right were the first 3 i fired during final fine tuning while sighting in & i probably twitched & let that flyer go at 11 o'clock, but other than that there's 5 shots touching each other.

i think it's safe to say the gun is more accurate than the shooter

[​IMG]

11. kaido

kaido New Member

Sweet stuff.
    So to be on the safe side, would you guys class this gun as a good coyote rifle?

12. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Ya 223 is great for any small game and the rifle is pretty tough to I got one and I beat it up all the time with out a problem

13. kaido

kaido New Member

Just because I'm curious, what's the farthest you've been able to hit with consistency with it?

Other can obviously answer this too.

14. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

mine is in 22-250 so I can reach out little more then a 223 but I have been able to get one hole groups out to a 100 yards that's as far as I'm able to get in my area but 223 is great out to about 350 to 400 yards plus

15. kaido

kaido New Member

Damn, I actually thought the 22-250 would have a little less range then the 223. Just figured since the latter had a bit of a heavier round it would fly straighter longer. I'm glad to hear I'd, after practice, be able to hit out to 400yards and still be lethal.

I got a little lucky as far as ranges go. Mine goes out to about 400 at the firing line, then when you walk back and up on top of a hill it'll take you out to as far as 500yards.

16. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

223 has a shorter case then a 250 and that mean more powder and that mean flatter shooting and yes the 223 has heavier bullets but a lot of people use 50 to 55gr bullet for coyote hunting

17. kaido

kaido New Member

I don't know why that didn't clue in?
    I have some spent brass from both, just never fired either.
    Can't really say much there, I was planning on using 55grs when/if I eventually pick one up. It seems to be the middle ground for that caliber. Least from what I've heard anyways.

18. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

Adding on to this, the 22-250 is also about 500-1000 fps faster than a .223

19. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Yep thats what I use in my 250 I wish I got a 223 cuz of the price in ammo between the two but I'm going to start reloading soon so that not a big deal any more

20. kaido

kaido New Member

That's a bit surprising. I was thinking that it would be a little slower then that, but still faster then the 223.

That's actually the whole reason I'm looking at a .223.
    I was originally going to get it in .243 since I'd be able to use it for deer as well, but I'm a little on the cheep side of things since I'm still new to the firearms world.