Savage Arms Dumps The .300 AAC Blackout

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by billt, May 2, 2012.

1. billt

billt New Member

"Some time ago, Savage announced it would be chambering the Model 10 Precision Carbine in 300 AAC Blackout. Since that time, we have tested many variants of this cartridge in various barrel lengths and rates of twist. This exhaustive testing left us quite unsatisfied with the accuracy we were able to get from the subsonic loads in this chambering. Accuracy with the lighter, faster loads in this caliber was actually quite good. But we believe the real value in this cartridge lies in the use of subsonic loads for suppressed rifles. Therefore we have decided to scrap the project.

It is our understanding that pushing these heavy, slow bullets presents challenges not found in typical loadings and that our experience is not unique. Subsequently, many in the industry have simply adopted a lower standard for accuracy for these subsonic loads. While this does seem reasonable and we don't criticize any in our industry that have taken this approach, it just won't work for Savage.

Our brand was built on accuracy and we are too protective of our reputation for building the most accurate factory rifles available. We would rather walk away from this opportunity than sell a product that requires an explanation."

http://www.savagearms.com/

I'll give them a lot of credit for going public with the statement and taking the time to explain the issues they had, rather than just say nothing and give up leaving everyone who was wanting this to speculate. Savage is a class act all the way around. Ron Coburn was put on this planet to run a gun company.

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Since the 300 has no practical application except as a SpecOps weapon, that makes perfect sense to me.

The round actually has no more power than a .357 magnum handgun.

3. KingTiger

KingTiger Member

There are plenty of other manufacturers that are producing accurate barrels, I wonder why that is?

Savage set themselves up for failure from the beginning by using a 20", 1:10 twist barrel, no wonder it wouldn't stabilize subsonics. I call that stupid, not noble.

My 9.5", 1:8 twist Core15 upper stabilizes 220 gr. rounds just fine. ;)

I mostly deer hunt creek bottoms where 50 yards is a long shot. I look forward to having a light weight, compact, low recoiling platform that launches 30 cal. projectiles from an AR.

4. billt

billt New Member

Perhaps you and Savage are worlds apart on the definition of the word accuracy.

5. KingTiger

KingTiger Member

You mean like this?

[​IMG]

6. billt

billt New Member

That's not bad. However Savage specifically stated the issues they were having was with slow moving heavy bullets. 147 grains is somewhat light.

"Accuracy with the lighter, faster loads in this caliber was actually quite good"

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Bills right most target shooters are looking at heavier bullets for longer distances . Same reason they dont make a rifle 7.62X39

8. KingTiger

KingTiger Member

The new Handi-Rifle coming out in 300 BLK will use a 1:7 twist. They went with the faster twist to stabilize 240 gr. cast bullets.

9. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I like savage, I like that they actually came out and told use what they didn't like that says a lot for a company. I didn't mind the 300 it was an ok round.

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

But they do & I have one, Model: 10 FCM Scout & the 7.62x39 is more of a round than the .300 AAC will ever be..............

11. billt

billt New Member

I have to agree with that. The .300 AAC's big claim to fame is it feeds well in the AR platform, where the 7.62 X 39 MM does not.

12. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Sure feeds good in a AK though don`t it, the 7.62x39 that is..........

13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

My understanding is the 300 Blackout was designed specifically to allow .30 caliber bullets in the AR platform with minimal modification. I assume Savage was trying to develop a bolt gun. I don't quite understand why they would want to try and mate the two when there are several .30 caliber rounds that are already superior performers.

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The .300 Whisper was developed for military specops folks for taking out sentries to perhaps 50 yards. It was developed to be subsonic, and used with a silencer.

The spec was for a 180 grain FMJ at 900-950 FPS. I can't imagine any other possible use for it. It's less powerful than a .357 magnum revolver.

15. rsilvers

rsilvers New Member

While subsonic ammo is hard to make varmint-rifle accurate, I did not expect the Savage to be as accurate as possible because they went with a 1:10 twist and a 20 inch barrel.

1:10 twist will not stabilize 220 subsonic ammo.

A 20 inch barrel will sometimes make the subsonic ammo transonic, and that is not great for accuracy.

They had a few ways to make the rifle better, from doing more R&D to asking AAC for assistance as so many other rifle companies have. Given that they were not on the right path, canceling it was the best call for them to make.

[​IMG]

16. rsilvers

rsilvers New Member

Actually 300 AAC Blackout has more energy at 300 yards than a 357 Magnum revolver does at the muzzle.

The bullet will expand to 0.500 to 0.600 inches at 300 yards, even from a 9 inch barrel - and penetrate 20 - 24 inches of 10% ballistic gel at that range.

[​IMG]

17. rsilvers

rsilvers New Member

A govt user shot a 2.75 inch group yesterday at 500 yards using a 10.5 inch AR upper and Remington 125 grain factory ammo.

18. rsilvers

rsilvers New Member

That is false. It is more powerful than 5.56mm.

It is mostly for people who want a 30 caliber AR15. You get 30 rounds in normal 5.56mm magazines with the normal bolt. It has much better barrier performance than 5.56mm, and has as much energy from a 16 inch barrel as 5.56mm does from a 24 inch barrel.

At 300 yards, the Remington factory 125 grain ammo has 16.7% more energy than Laupa 7.62x39mm ammo.

19. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

And the 7.92 Kurz has 10% more energy than that, at 300 yds..........