Savage 93F

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by alleyyooper, May 9, 2015.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Walk in a gun shop looking for some 22lr ammo, am told yes they have some they keep behind the counter and you can buy 100 rounds and it is in a baggie and brand isn't told as if you want it fine if not that is fine also.
    Yet there is a shelf so loaded with 22 Mag ammo it is sagging. I look at a couple of new rifles they have Ruger 77 22mag and a Browning T bolt. Way out of my price range.
    A few week later I am in Wally world again I check to see if they have 22lr ammo. None at all, but I see a Savage 93F in 22mag for less than 200.00 plus taxes of course. I leave with out it because my wife said I had to sell some thing first to buy it.
    I did some work for a fellow and he asked what he owed me a couple of weeks after. I told him the Savage rifle which I had learned had a $25.00 rebate also. the work was worth twice that but I wanted to hunt squirrels and was out of 22lr ammo. Next day he delivered the 93F to my house with 3 boxes of ammo.
    I found out my old eyes could shoot the rifle with iron sights. Had to break down and play the E mail game with Savage to get scope mounts for it. Once they arrived I mounted a old Simmons scope on the rifle.
    Now I will say the rifle is not any thing of beauty but I never expected it of a NEW $200.00 rifle but is shot great. Once I found a ballistic chart I was shooting squirrels at over 80 yards.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.rimfire-rifles.html

Like many of the reviews for this model I found the clip to be a useless needing Constance adjustment when shooting more than a couple clips of ammo. Sure is some thing to rack the bolt open to extract a empty and have 8 round fly thru the air cause the clip was no longer holding them.
    Am now looking for a decent aftermarket clip for it.

:D Al

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have not had any problems with my magazines on any of my Savage rim fires. I am using the 5 round mags on my 93G. 10 rounds on the MKII FV and FVSR. The F has a plastic stock and th G has a wooden stock otherwise they are the same rifle. I have had problems locating 22 Mag ammo at a decent price and where you are it is plentiful.

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

It WAS plentiful but by Christmas you couldn't find a stray round rolling around on the floor, let a long a box of it

Ya buy 100 rounds at a time in a baggie once a month if you want any.

:D Al