Savage 30-06

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Matthew161, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Matthew161

Matthew161 New Member

Anyone have a savage 30-06 I am looking at getting one I want to try to start hunting deer and maybe bear thanks

2. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I do, but I don't hunt and have only shot it a few times..

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

I've got a whole bunch of Savage's,just not in 30/06. They are very good rifle's,but depending on which model your wanting,you may want to buy a good aftermarket stock. The non-Accustock composite stocks are pretty crappy.
    I personally like the Accu-Trigger,but some don't.There are several good aftermarket triggers available for Savage's also.

The Model 114 or 116 are excellent hunting rifles.

4. Matthew161

Matthew161 New Member

I was looking at the savage axis

5. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

Heading out today to do a walkabout and some informal range work with mine.It's a SS '06,4-12 scope.It has been a real workhorse.Main diet has been handloaded Sierra 150 g Gamekings with slightly overbook amts. of IMR4350.The load was worked up very carefully.Has also seen a thousand or so cast bullets down the tube.

Gun is an honest 3/4" setup.I did put a new crown on factory brrl.And because of the hunting nature,and my cheapness......the factory stock has WAY too much time/effort into trying to make it,behave.An installed CF arrow shaft along with fibreglass reinforcement makes the free-floated fore end stiff enough to use a Harris Bi-pod.That and a general action bedding.Realizing,an aftermarket stock is the way to go....duh.But to get something nicer than whats described above is gonna be a cpl hundred.

This thing has been drug around,dropped,shot a WHOLE bunch,killed a bunch of Deer and its "still kickin".If I was replacing brrl(and it needs it),it would be with another sporter wieght '06 chambering.It does what it's 'sposed to with 150's......and is decent enough with reduced,cast bullet loads to keep it interesting on that front.

6. Matthew161

Matthew161 New Member

Let me know how u make out

7. longunner

longunner New Member

Are triggers on savage rifles interchangable? Like say could you take an accutrigger out of one and put it into another?

8. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

Here's a cpl pics.took the 4X12 off to put on a Varmint rig.....threw this 1X4 on the Savage.It is perfect for casual field,cast bullet use.I shot a "braggin group" with this rig down at our "river range" yesterday.....paper target stuck on a log.10 shots tore one ragged hole @75 yds from backpack rest.Went through 3 bxs,60 rnds of cast bullets in 2 days shooting at "stuff"...duh.

Edit to add:The stock is spraybombed OD Green and then "spiderwebbed" with Black.

Attached Files:

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The .30-06 is enough for bear, but I would suggest 180gr or 200gr. If you are hunting smaller black bear 165gr in a well constructed bullet would be VG. It also would be VG for Whitetail or Moose. Even Elk out to 350 yards.

10. aandabooks

aandabooks Active Member

It appears that your scope is on backwards. Usually the bell end goes at the barrel end.

11. jpattersonnh

You can't be serious!!!

12. aandabooks

aandabooks Active Member

That scope looks backwards to me. The eyepiece is larger than the objective. Every scope I have the objective is larger than the eyepiece. That scopes objective is the same diameter as the tube.

Maybe it is just a scope style that I have not seen before.

13. jpattersonnh

There are many fine hunting scopes, AR scopes that have a 30mm tube or even 1" and no bell. They have been around for as long as rifle scopes. They are generally low power used for hunting. Can you tell if this one is backwards??
    [​IMG]
    Maybe this one:
    [​IMG]

14. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

A lot of custom rifle builder's consider them as being much more elegant,streamlined.....and prefer them to the exaggerated look that ANY objective bell presents.Generally,higher $$ rifles.

On slightly more practical terms...

>This particular 1x4 "Loophole"....is easily used down into "feet" of distance.IOWs,put a target at 20'...scope on 1 or 2 power....BLAMMM!

>Next up is on rifles that get carried more than shot......like 99% of big game rifles.It's a weight thing

>Hard kicking rifles,especially lite rifles,are really hard on scopes.....the smaller/simpler the scope.....the more abuse it'll take due to recoil.

>Most classic rifle stocks were designed with "irons"....These scopes mount the lowest,making for a much more natural,"point"

>They're cheaper

Now for the opinion.........Just like big fat tyres,handgun brrl length,rifle bull brrls,knife blades,etc.A lot of folks "get past",.......my ___ is bigger than yours.So it is with scopes,simple elegance vs big and fat.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  15. tCan

tCan Active Member

Our Savage 116 is a great hunting rifle. The recoil is stout but not sharp. The jeweled bolt is quick and smooth with a large easy to find handle. It's target accurate. The synthetic stock is beefy and has a rolled over comb which I find very comfortable. Only downside is ours is the 116FSS which is the only 116 without a detachable box magazine. It also doesn't come with iron sights, so it's a scope only model unless you want to take it to a gunsmith.

Some low power scopes are the other way around.