Firearms Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin inherited a Savage 1917. Nice clean looking semi auto. It has probably been sitting in a drawer 50+ years. The gun is locked up. Verified there is no live round or spent brass in the chamber. Finally pulled the trigger. It didn't travel all the way back, but could hear and feel a very faint click. The slide will pull back about 1/8 inch. The hammer cannot be pulled back by itself either. I've soaked it down for two days with CLP. Tried inserting wooden dowel in the barrel and pressing downward on the grip frame with decent pressure and still only 1/8 inch of movement. I've tried this with the safety on and off. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks, Boomer

·
Premium Member
14,306 Posts
Sounds like a soak in Kroil or other penetrating oil would be the 1st step. I don't think the CLP is enough to liquify the old lube.

Reactions: primer1

·
Retired
13,591 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
My brother has one and it’s a neat little gun but it stovepipes a lot.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The barrel will not drop at all. The system for the Savage pistols is a delayed blow back. When opening, the barrel will rotate clockwise when viewed from aft.

Sounds like either rusted internally or the lube - often applied too liberally - is congealed and set up. The wooden rod pushed against the breech face of the slide simulates the impulse of the fired case. That's a reasonable thing to do and the worst that can happen is the rust or gunk breaks loose or nothing happens.

I will echo the advice of prior posters; soak it in some form of penetrating oil. If you have a sonic cleaner, that may enhance penetration of the gunk by the penetrating oil. Putting it in a shallow plastic dish and pouring penetrant on it to soak will work, but leave it overnight. When that's done, try the wooden rod again, but hit the rod with a soft faced hammer (rubber or plastic face) instead of pushing it against a surface. The shock of the blow will help to break the gunk free.

You might try heating the slide-receiver area. Use limited heat like a hair dryer or heat gun (available at Harbor Freight) which will gently expand the slide and possibly break the seal of the gunk.

Remove slide from frame (you tube has a video) and clean gunk and or rust; you should be able to see the remains on the frame, slide and barrel exterior.

·
Premium Member
12,636 Posts
I would be wiling to bet that the problem is mechanical and not related to rust or solidified lubricants.

·
Premium Member
14,306 Posts
You start with the simple stuff then progress to the mechanical although being broken could account for why it sat in a drawer for 50 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts