Savage 187-S or Ranger 103-2??

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by prsabordo, Jun 18, 2010.

1. prsabordo

prsabordo New Member

I got a choice, this will be my first firearm given as a gift. Which one from everyone elses experience, since i have so little, would be best as far as reliability and easy access of parts? I have never heard of ranger before, and i have ever seen either of these guns before.

2. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

I do not find the "Ranger 103.2" on the Manufacturer Cross Reference List. Ranger was a 'store brand', and could be made by a number of different manufacturers - likely Savage/Stevens, Marlin or Mossberg.

The Savage 187 series rifles are generally good, but have been out of production for many years, as have the Rangers. So, condition means everything! If possible, try to check each for overall condition and function, all parts in place?

The Savage parts are easily available at Numrich Arms (e-gunparts.com) - they bought all the manufacturer's parts stock when the rifles were discontinued. This rifle was also produced under many names and models - stocks, sights, etc changed but the internal parts are all pretty much the same and should interchange.

Can't say about the Ranger without knowing who actually made it. A pic would really help!

3. prsabordo

prsabordo New Member

Thanks for the help bigdog57, really appreciate it. I talked to my friend and he said they are both complete and well taken care of. So if i had a choice for only one rifle, which one would you recommend? I am going be using this gun for plinking so i want the one which is more likely to have more available parts. If the ranger was store brand but made by marlin, sage, etc. Would parts be compatible with other models. I found a video of what the range looks like. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Zvy7sg5iU]YouTube - what are these guns Tyler?[/ame]. Hope this helps.