Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's y'all's thoughts on this gun I want a gun under 300 and Larry's (arms dealer in town) has this savage hmr olive green with scope for $269. Is this a great gun or what I'm a big squirrel hunter and wouldn't mind trying out a .17 and passing on my .22 what y'all's thoughts on the reliability and performance of this weapon.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a marlin 917 and it shoots one jagged hole at 50 yards and under a dime at 100. Can't go wrong with a 17hmr

·
Registered
536 Posts
I to have the marlin 917v, and it is like a lazer beam, put crosshairs where you want to hit and squeeze the trigger, no recoil so you can see impact in your scope, I have shot savages and they to are accurate, the 17 hmr is an impressive little cartridge for sure, they are more accurate than I can shoot them for sure.

ForumRunner_20130206_074205.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
I bought mine 2 years ago at bass pro I paid 239$ for the gun, I have a 3-9x32 bsa scope on it, I eventually want to put a nicer scope on it, but for what I use this rifle for, what I've got works perfectly fine for the time being.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Im in the same boat i act posted a similer thread about the savage vs the marlin. I already have a .22lr and love it. But i wanted a rimfire that would hold under an inch at 100yds. Its just a paper puncher for me. Sice i posted my thread i got to shoot both the marlin and savage in 17hmr and 22wmr. By far i like the savage your talking about in 17hmr and for the 22wmr the marlin gets my vote. Goin this week to pick up the savage. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes it does do you think a 3x9x40 would be over kill for this savage .17hmr
As I posted my original comment, I got to thinking, so I got mine out and it is a 3x9x40 I don't think its overkill one bit, my wife's cousin has a h&r single shot in 17 hmr and he's got a 6x24 power on his lol

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
What's y'all's thoughts on this gun I want a gun under 300 and Larry's (arms dealer in town) has this savage hmr olive green with scope for $269. Is this a great gun or what I'm a big squirrel hunter and wouldn't mind trying out a .17 and passing on my .22 what y'all's thoughts on the reliability and performance of this weapon.
I've had two of them. I liked them well enough but I got to where I didn't use them much and went back to using a 22 mag. They are pretty fun for busting little critters though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another I was wondering how load is it cuz I live on the city line and was wondering if I would be able to shoot it cuz I know the gamo air rifles are pretty load and my buddy shoots his no problem and comparison

·
Registered
536 Posts
It is a rimfire, so its on the same par as a 22lr but it is a bit louder with more of a crack to it, I never shoot without ear protection so I really don't know how loud it is but I think if you shoot it in city limits people will call police, I have a gamo 1400 fps air rifle and its loud but doesn't have the crack to it that powder cartridges have.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Also check out the BSA Sweet 17 scope. It's made just for the .17HMR and the bullet drop compensator works like a champ. Drilled a crow at 240 yards with my boys with the cross hairs right on target...poof! Gophers go "splat", crows and pigeons go "poof".

·
Registered
536 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
The accu-trigger on the Savage is amazing. When you go to look at them try out the trigger on the Marlin and Savage. The accu-trigger is almost adjustable.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
bobbyjay256 said:
Yes it does do you think a 3x9x40 would be over kill for this savage .17hmr
I don't think a 3-9x40 would be over kill at all. My dealer suggested a Sweet 17 that's 6-18x40 and I love it. When shooting at small game like gopher, raccoons and things alike, being able to see them clearly at a distance is a must.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts