Savage 10 FCP-SR or 10 FCP McMillan

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by wmeyer116, Jul 12, 2013.

1. wmeyer116

wmeyer116 New Member

Hi,

I was wondering which of these rifles I should purchase, I've narrowed it down to these two:

The Savage 10 FCP-Sr, I can get it for about $1020

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/M10FCP10

- Heavy, fluted, 24 inch barrel
    - Threaded barrel
    - 10 Round detachable box mag
    - 20 MOA scope base included
    - accutstock
    - Accutrigger

The Savage 10 FCP McMillan, I can get for about $1130

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPMcMILLAN

- Heavy Barrel, 24 Inch
    - McMillan Stock
    - Accutrigger
    - 4 Round detachable magazine

The deciding factors to me are, do I go with the FCP -SR because of the fluted, threaded barrel and 10 round detachable mag, or the McMillan because it had the McMillian Stock already, which I believe is somewhere upwards of $550 if bought new and separate.

Both have detachable magazines, but the SR has a different system that is easier and who's mags are more readily available to buy in 10 round capacity, not that it really matters

Which one is better? I am trying to make a rifle that I can eventually take out to 800-1000 yards.

2. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I would get the McMillan. If your shooting that far away you probably aren't going to need 10 rounds. And if you did shoot it fast enough then your POI may change due to the barrel heating up.

3. wmeyer116

wmeyer116 New Member

Thats kind of what I was thinking. But isn't the fluted barrel supposed to help counter that?

4. Garadex

Garadex New Member

The McMillan already has a heavy barrel so I don't think it would matter to much. However I only have a basic knowledge and someone else may come by who knows more than I so I would wait for at least a second opinion. I think either would be a good choice though.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  5. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

I have the Savage FCP-SR. I liked the threaded barrel and the Digital Camo AccuStock.

[​IMG]

6. wmeyer116

wmeyer116 New Member

Cool, how do you like it? What grouping do you usually get with it?

7. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Love Savages, never owned any of their higher end guns only basic 110s and a model 11, I would love to get a precision 308 or 300 WSM. I am always debating between the 10 series law enforcement model or an 11 Long Ranged Hunter, either should be plenty accurate heck even my Wal-Mart special 30-06 shoots 1/2" with RL19 and 150gr Accutips.

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The McMillan stock is nice on the 10FCP,but you can also get the same rifle with a HS Precision stock,or if you have a Cabela's near you,they have an Exclusive 10FCP with a Choate Tactical stock. I have one with the Choate Tactical stock,and liked it so much I put another one on my 110FLP 25/06.
    The McMillan stock is more cosmetically pleasing to the eye's,but I've never seen where it's any better performing than the HS Precision or Choate.
    I paid $650 for my 10FCP with the Choate stock at Cabela's a few years ago,and it's a great shooting rifle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can get 10rd mags from a couple different guy's that work with the factory bottom metal,and look factory.
    Look here-http://www.darkeaglecustom.com/products.shtml

9. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

I think it is a fine rifle. Very well balanced, and solid. Of all the Savage's I have owned, the 10 FCP-SR has the smoothest bolt action to date.

As for grouping, even with my average marksmanship skills, I can hold 1" groups at 100 yards using factory ammo with 147-168gr pills (I currently don't reload at this time). That goes out to 2' groups at 250 yards.

My local gun range only has lanes that go out to 250 yards, so I have yet to try anything real long distance with it....

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

The wife has my 10fcp-sr now and its a sweeeeeet shooting bolt gun. It will put all 10 submoa at 300 yards fast as you can shoot them. Second mag it opens to to moa or a scootch over due to heat. I think the fcp-sr is the better deal. The bottom metal and mag is about a 400$ option toss in a threaded barrel and its prolly one of the best bang for your buck bolt guns out there.

We havent seen a need for any stock but the one it came with. Its bedded well from the factory and fully functional. For a long barreled rifle and heavy barrel its pretty lightweight.

11. Max-Q

Max-Q New Member

I have the M10 with an 18" bull barrel with the oversized tactical bolt handle and accutrigger. I think it was their "Tactical" model which may have been discontinued or so I was told by a guy at Cabelas. Mine came with the synthetic accustock which didn't work for me. The stock was way too small and flexible. I bought the Choate stock which fits me perfectly. The gun is very accurate. I have no problem grouping less than an inch at 100 yards. My kids love it when I shoot pennies at 100 yards. I don't have access to anything over 100 right now so I can't say how it does past 100 but it has no problem stacking rounds in the same hole at 100.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  12. wmeyer116

wmeyer116 New Member

Is there anyone on here who has the McMillan? Sounds like im getting a bunch of biased opinions haha

13. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I would go with the 10 FCP just based on the threaded barrel and 10 round mag. And use the extra 100 bucks to buy ammo. IMHO

14. Max-Q

Max-Q New Member

What's the concern with a 10 round mag? I've got a 4 round mag and I normally feed the rounds one at a time when I'm shooting. Can't imagine I'd ever need that many rounds with this rifle.

15. wmeyer116

wmeyer116 New Member

Just a nice addition, you never know when you may have to hold off a bridge from many an enemy

16. wmeyer116

wmeyer116 New Member

But in all seriousness, it's not necessary, just something nice. I'm more interested in the threaded and fluted barrel

17. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

IMHO, having more rounds in the mag will never hurt you. Unless you have a super long one that sticks down below your bi-pod, or hangs in the dirt when you're trying to shoot prone. So for that, you get a smaller mag. Barring these 2 situations, which I rarely come across, I'd rather have less mags of high capacity available. Nothing says you have to us the entire capacity.

18. arizona98tj

arizona98tj New Member

I've been using the 10 FCP HS-Precision now for several years and can't say anything bad about it. It too has a heavy barrel.

[​IMG]

And it's a shooter....one of my targets from when I was working up handloads. It likes Varget powder and Sierra MatchKing bullets.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  19. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Well,They may be justified biased opinions.
    Like I said earlier,The McMillan is a nice stock,but really doesn't offer anything better performance wise than the HS or Choate tactical stocks.The McMillan does weigh less than the others,but at 2-3x the cost.
    IMO,Manners builds a much better stock than McMillan.

20. wmeyer116

wmeyer116 New Member

True, I wish that I had a cabellas near me, I would get the choate stock. I'll probably just go with the FCP-SR