SAR ST-10 Questions. Sig Clone?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by B5Dan, Aug 17, 2012.

1. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

Hello and sorry for the strange looking title. I'm wondering if any of you have had a chance to spend time with these new pistols.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/sarsilmaz-arms-sar-st10-from-eaa-new-gun-review/
    I like the look of them a lot. From what I can gather its half H&K/Sig 226 clone with some CZ elements inside lol.
    It's distributed by EAA, and I have had great success with the Witness line. I'm on my 4th Witness. I know there is plenty of bad press about EAA's customer service and they deserve it. But the pistols they import seem good (or I'm just damn lucky!). I've about made up my mind to order on of these sight unseen, but I would love any input from someone with more experience on the matter.

And please, please, pretty please don't suggest that I just save up and get the real thing. I'm a public school teacher, so $800 for a Sig or $1000+ for an H&K simply isn't happening. Oh. Also I'm married haha!
    Thanks againThis is a great forum!

2. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

Buds has the diamond plate Sig P226 right now for $606 shipped. I go that route before I dropped $500 on this gun.

3. Greatmoose

Greatmoose New Member

I have one, and absolutely love it. Had about 200 flawless rounds though it, and it's insanely accurate. It's fit and finish is easily as good as my p226. It's incredibly well built. Sarsilmaz makes some of the best guns in the world, they're just so rarely imported that no one in the US has much experience. I've got the all black version, not sure why the finish is. The website says blue, but it's not. It looks and feels similar to nitron, and the alloy frame finish is so smooth it feels like glass. There is no rattle whatsoever on this gun. Be aware, regardless of the advertisements, thy only come with TWO 15 round mags.

I have shot this side by side with a USP, and they feel very different. The ST10 feels (to me, at least) more like a P226, and the trigger and mag release are far superior to a USP (again, to me). I'd highly recommend them.

4. Greatmoose

Greatmoose New Member

5. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

Thank you Greatmoose! I REALLY appreciate it!The Sig is ok (not sure about the bling on the slide of the diamond plate) but for a teacher, $150 is a big difference.

I usually put a lot of research and thread lurking into a firearm before I purchase one, but there wasn't a lot out there. Thanks for your input. ANd the side by side pics with the Beretta 92 are very helpful!

I think I'll order one. It's going to be a month before I can pick it up, but at least it will be waiting for me!

6. Greatmoose

Greatmoose New Member

Glad to help! They're built in one of the most advanced firearms plants in the word, I think on a 7-axis CNC machine. There's nothing extraneous on this gun. I have a hunch that other magazines will fit (probably something by mecgar), but so far, nothing is perfect.

7. Greatmoose

Greatmoose New Member

8. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

The frame has a CZ "feel", even though it looks like the Sig or H&K (I can't decide which)... I wonder if they would fit with some creativity. Davidson's has mags for it for $22, so if I get one I will try to get a couple extra mags at the same time

Anyway, I'm about sold. I wonder though; why is the SR-10 more than the K2? I'm not a big fan of .45 over 9mm. If I want something bigger I will go to my 10mm most of the time. I can't wait until they offer these in 10mm. Also, the B6 is available. Ever look at one of those? I saw one in the travelogue...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  9. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

Me too! haha!
    I don't know what it is about me... I just like different stuff. I would rather pay for this and check it out than pay for a Glock that is as much or cheaper. I really look forward to picking this up, but I'm more excited about when they finally release a 10mm (or even a .40). Their poly compact (the B6 w/3.7"bbl, I believe) looks like it would be handy too!

10. Greatmoose

Greatmoose New Member

Most places the ST10 and the K2 are within $10 of each other. Buds has the black ST10 for $460 and the K2 $464. Good luck!

11. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

Well, Davidson's has the ST10 in black on sale this week, so I went ahead and ordered it. Won't have it for a month... I've still got a pistol my guy is holding for me that I'm picking up next week. So, two things... One, my gun dealer is a saint among men, and two, I am more excited about this pistol than I have been since I got my Elite Match!

So, Mr. GreatMoose, have you tried any +P in your SAR? I don't need +P+... I'm not a maniac haha! But being able to run, say, a 50-round box through to ensure feeding and function and then carry it for lawful concealed carry would be amazing!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  12. Greatmoose

Greatmoose New Member

Havent run any +p through it yet, but there's absolutely no reason to doubt it's ability to do so. You could probably run +p it's entire life and it'd be fine. It's a stout gun.

13. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Have you priced the Sig SP2022? It comes in 40, 9mm, and there is a 357 barrel out somewhere and these can be had for around $400 and change.

14. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Why would they pick the 2022 over st-10? The 2022 isnt anything special

15. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Why buy a Sig clone when an affordable Sig can be had?

16. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

The 2022 is no where near as nice as the st-10

17. Greatmoose

Greatmoose New Member

I also own a 2022. It's an amazing piece, but they're not exactly apples and oranges. The ST10 is essentially a USP, not really similar to the Sig except in size. As much as I love my 2022 (and I really do), the ST10 is nicer and better built. I've never seen a gun built this "perfectly". It might even be a little "over tight", not sure how it would do in a sand test. Might be great. Dunno.

18. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

So, Sig is a great name and they make great pistols. But there are a couple of things to consider... Their 1911s, which really are just like any other 1911, are priced at what looks like $200 more just for the name. I understand that, and agree that if you have buuilt up a nice reputation around your product, you should take advantage of that! That said, a Sig that costs $400 (by my previous reasoning) is really only worth $275-$300. Still, that would be ok. I have purchased a couple of EAA Witness pistols at that price and have been very happy.

My biggest concern about that particular Sig is that it looks like it's Poly, and while poly has its place, I'm currently in the market for a full-size combat pistol and I prefer those with steel or alloy frames. Nothing wrong with poly. I've got a couple of those, too. The main thing that guided my decision here was the fact that the Sigs I like are out of my price range (if only by $150 or so), and, even though it's not always a good idea with firearms, I like to try new things. Whenever you hear people talk about guns, all you ever hear is Glock (blech), H&K, and Sig. I would like an H&K Mk23, and there are some nice enough Sigs. But this looks nice, and if a pistol is good enough for use by the world's second largest standing army and can be had for less than $450, I figure it's worth a try. At the least, it will be fun to take out and shoot every now and then, and at best, it could be an amazing firearm, built well to last a lifetime, and me and GreatMoose will be in on the "ground floor" haha

THanks for the recommendation though. I may have considered it but I already have my ST-10 ordered. It's waiting for me; I just can't get it until next month. Gun Genie had a sale on small-frame Witness Poly compacts for $290. Can't beat that!

19. blatamay89

blatamay89 New Member

Definitely interested on hearing updates once you get some range time! I'm like you and would prefer to buy this new while no one else has it than to pick up a used USP for the same price. Plus I like that it has the extra heft over the USP with the alloy frame. It looks absolutely beautiful!