Santa Left a 10/22 Under the Tree

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Elemental, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Elemental

Elemental New Member

I woke up this morning to find that the fat man left me a brand-spanking new 10/22 under the tree. I didn't think I'd been good enough this year. Go figure.

It's box stock, blued, birch stock, so I won't bother positing pictures. But, if I were a soda can or a plastic milk jug, I'd be nervous right now. The GWP (Great White Plinker) is on the prowl :)

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Congrats on your present! Now you'll catch the fever to modify it.:D

3. Elemental

Elemental New Member

No, I think it will stay pretty much stock for a while. Although.......the trigger leaves a little to be desired, and I need a scope.

Speaking of scopes, I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to optics, mounts, and rings. I figure I'll just get a cheap Bushnell 3-9 x 32 from Midway. But I'm thoroughly confused about mounts and rings. Anyone have any specific recommendations on economical (er....cheap) 1 piece mounts and rings? Do I need "low", "medium", or "high" rings? Will any rings that are referred to as "Weaver style" work with any mount that is likewise classified?

Keep in mind that, for the time being anyway, this is purely a recreational rifle, so I probably don't need anything too elaborate.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations. 10/22's are addicting. As far as the trigger goes, Stalkingbear is the man to see for a trigger job. Enjoy that rascal. :cool:

5. OC357

OC357 New Member

The 10/22's are real nice. Fun and cheap to shoot. Enjoy.

OC

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I got one, too, but it was no real surprise. Got the all-weather in stainless with synthetic stock, which I'm sure I'll change out.

Took it out to the north forty with an old scope I put on it and couldn't hit the broad side. Too cold to spend the time to properly sight in, but I just had to shoot the little dude.

I'm looking forward to spending a lot of days tinkering and customizing....and just shooting the living daylights out of her.

7. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I was gonna recommend the same thing. I've got a stock 10/22 that I plan on leaving that way. But at some point, I'm going to get another with a bull barrel for some target shooting, and the trigger group will go to Bear for a good working over.

-Fred

8. Elemental

Elemental New Member

I wish I had a north forty to take mine out to. I'm going to have to wait for a weekend and some decent weather to take it out to a range.

What made me think I wanted a house in the 'burbs? :confused:

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Believe me, living in the country is great in many ways, but I miss the 'burbs often.....

10. Joe M

Joe M New Member

Congrats on the new rifle's folks. I'm sure you'll enjoy those 10/22's as much as everyone else enjoys theirs. :)

11. Elemental

Elemental New Member

It's killing me to have to just look at it. I want to take it out and have some fun with it.

I'm still looking for recommendations on scope mounts and rings. So if anyone has any words of wisdom.......

12. Joe M

Joe M New Member

13. Elemental

Elemental New Member

Joe, thanks for the information. Yeah, aperature sights don't work so well with my middle-aged eyes.

Like I said, I'm still trying to get up to speed on optics terminology. So I'm not sure what you mean by a "20 MOA scope rail". I know in very general terms what "MOA" means, but it's not clear to me how the term relates to mounts.

Sorry about all the questions :eek:

14. glenthoughts

glenthoughts New Member

My new Christmas 10/22 came with the stock Ruger scope mount, bolts right on with 4 screws and my Bushnell 3x-9x Banner Scope with thumb screws mounts right to it with the rear site folded down. I can now mill the middle of the scope mount down and in 5 seconds have the scope off and see the iron sights.

I love my 10/22, Jim did my trigger, that is mandatory, now I just shoot and clean/repeat with it. LOVE IT.

Have fun with yours...

15. Elemental

Elemental New Member

Mine came with a Ruger-supplied mount as well, but I've heard that it may be too short to allow it to work correctly with some scopes. I plan on buying an inexpensive B-Square mount from Midway, along with some 1" medium-height rings.

16. Hobo Bob

Hobo Bob New Member

I didn't like my trigger either (is anyone ever happy with the factory one?). The way I went was to buy a Volquartsen hammer/sear drop-in unit. Worked wonders for me. I also did the B-Square mount. Works great as far as I am concerned. It's never come loose, and my zero has never changed in a few years. I also purchased his mag release.

https://www.volquartsen.com/products/181-match-hammer-and-sear

[​IMG]

17. Elemental

Elemental New Member

Nice, Hobo Bob!

When (if) the weather warms up, I hope to get out and play with mine and see what, if anything, I want to do with it.

I should get the new scope mount and scope in a day or two. I ended up going with a Simmons 3-9 x 32. It was the least expensive scope I could find that had an adjustable objective. I'm thinking it will be fine for my purposes, but we'll see.