Santa brought me a Mossberg 835

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Thelt, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Thelt

Thelt New Member

Anyone know anywhere I can get an owners manual?

2. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Try this. I just googled Mossberg 835 manual and got this as one of the responses. :p

OWNERS MANUAL
    If manual is lost or misplaced, write directly to Mossberg for a free ..... 500, 835 and 590 barrels are interchangeable only with barrels of the same model ...

pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/mossberg_500.pdf - Similar

3. Thelt

Thelt New Member

Thanks guys, I hear that this is a good shotgun, any thoughts on it?

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It's a good and dependable shotgun. Enjoy and congrats!

5. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

cool deal man. he brought me a shotgun too. a Remy 870.

6. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

page7b

You will find that manual on the above link.

7. Stevie

Stevie New Member

Me too

Santa bought me a Mossberg 500 persuader.Had a 835 good gun just needed something lighter and shorter with a greater shell capacity for HD work.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

i used to not use a shotgun for anything except leaning in the corner by the bed for home defense. i bought a mossberg 835 just to go dove hunting with my dad. it changed my opinions on shotguns now i regularly go skeet shooting and have a literal blast with it. i love my 835

9. Thelt

Thelt New Member

can I use "magnum" shells in an 835?

10. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

The 835 is capable of chambering 2 3/4", 3", and 3 1/2". I believe that you can shoot any 12 ga. shell made. I just want to warn you, a 3 1/2" 12 ga. shell has as much energy as a 300 nitro express. Wear extra layers because the 3 1/2" shell will beat you to death. I tried 3 1/2" shells in my 835 only once, and that was enough for me.

11. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

it should tell you for sure right on the barrel. if the gun is capable of shooting 3 1/2" shells then it can shoot pretty much anything.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

yes.

but never shoot slugs out of a choke tube barrel on any shotgun you will have to buy a seperate barrel to shoot slugs out of the 835.

my 835 choked barrel is ported makes shooting magnums pretty easy. less you are going goose hunting or some such thing where you need a denser shot pattern there is no real need for magnum shells. magnum just means more shot in the shell going at roughly the same speed as a similar lesser shot load in 2 3/4 shells. it is the heavier weight of the larger shot load that makes it recoil more.

13. Thelt

Thelt New Member

I bought some shells at Wal Mart but all they had were magnum shells. I was just wondering if it is safe to shoot them. I did not think about whether they were compatible until I got home.

14. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

you can shoot them as long as the shell length and chamber match up.

15. Thelt

Thelt New Member

I shot it today for the first time. I had never shot a shotgun before so my first time was with 12 gauge 3" magnum buckshot. It kicks a bit more than my .22 LR pistol... The results were awesome though. I like to plink with my 22 and will often shoot milk jugs or 2 liter soda bottles filled up with water. You can put several rounds in one of those with a .22 before it falls over or all the water drains out. One round from the mossberg and the milk jug was history. The water never had a chance to drain out it just sort of exploded. I then turned it on to a old 5 gallon plastic bucket. I am ready for the zombies now ;)

16. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Sounds like fun, bring on the zombies.