Samurai-sword wielder gets off charge

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by zhuk, Feb 11, 2010.

1. zhuk

zhuk New Member

And in the UK, no less :eek: Woohoo!

Excalib-ear

[​IMG]
    Mr Fullard said he had acted to protect his wife and children

[​IMG]
    Michael Severs' ear was re-attached by surgeons

By ROBIN PERRIE

A DAD who cut a thug's ear off with a Samurai sword has been cleared by a jury.

Builder David Fullard, 46, leapt into action as the brute and a pal forced their way into his home and threatened to rape his girlfriend and kill his sons.

He grabbed the antique sword and sliced off the left lug of the yob - named Michael SEVERS.

Prosecutors said Mr Fullard went too far for self-defence and charged him with unlawful wounding. He faced up to EIGHT YEARS in jail.

A jury took less than 50 minutes to acquit him at Hull Crown Court.

Afterwards he said: "I would do it again under the same circumstances.

"You cannot stand around and do nothing when someone comes to your house and threatens your family."

Their ordeal came last March when Severs and pal Michael Smith - both high on vodka and cannabis - stormed into the Fullards' home in Brough, East Yorks, demanding money.

They were armed with a spade and knuckle-duster. Smith picked up the sword as they threatened to rape Mr Fullard's partner Sue, 53.

They also said they would kill his sons Tom, 17, and Danny, 14, and torch the house.

Mr Fullard grabbed the sword and lunged once at Severs.

He told the jury: "I wanted the flat of the sword to hit him. I didn't want it to lead to injury.

"As soon as I hit him I went to ring the police. I was just panicking." Surgeons reattached the ear.

Neighbours described Mr Fullard as "an honest, caring, family man at the heart of the community".

He was cleared in November but it can only be reported now that cases against Severs, 22, and Smith, 19, have finished.

Yesterday the two jobless thugs got six-month suspended sentences and 100 hours of community service after admitting affray.

Last night Mr Fullard said: "It's a bad result. They got a slap on the wrists.

"Sue is still quite worried about answering the door. We have had a lot of sleepless nights."

The case mirrors that of businessman Munir Hussain, 53, who was jailed for attacking an armed burglar in High Wycombe, Bucks.

He was freed on appeal after an outcry.'

David Fullard who cut off thug’s ear with Samurai sword is cleared | The Sun |News

Result! As far as the innocent homeowner's freedom was concerned. Those would-be-rapist bastards should have got jail time; but ahh well, at least Mr Fullard is free & unconvicted. Pity they couldn't have left that f*cker to bleed to death, but still...a result :D

(Rather appropriate name for that crim too, SEVERS lol)

I'd like to think the same thing might happen here but I'm so not sure...

2. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Woopee

How can it be a crime to protect your family.

3. zhuk

zhuk New Member

In both our countries, quite easily :(

We have this "commensurate force" thing. ie If someone breaks into your house, you can't use a weapon to disable them if the bad guy is unarmed...or if he has a stick, you can't use a knife etc etc etc. Insane, I know :rolleyes:

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Overzelous prosecutors frequently bring charges against "vitims". They are ideologues who want to discourage self responisbility. "Only the Police should have guns because they are properly trained." "Only the Police can use force against a suspect, because they are neutral".

When someone forces his way into my house and threatens to kill my family members, there is no neutrality needed. There is no level of force that is unnecessary. He will die, period.

It is refreshing to see our British brothers and sisters are starting to come around and tell the government "NO"!

5. SigGambler

SigGambler New Member

I can't even begin to understand that kind of thinking.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

That makes two of us.

7. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Even here in California we have better laws then that.

And from the looks of that reattached ear we have better surgeons also.

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

He is lucky it was not someone from this board. because I hate to say it but he might not been alive to file charges because it is very hard to reattach a severed head.

I feel for the people the UK and Aussi. It is nuts that you are not allowed to defend your family or self.

Then again I might just have to go to prison for going all bear jew on some thugs that break into my house.

9. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

There can be only one!!!!!!:cool:

10. SigGambler

SigGambler New Member

Thanks I spit coffee out on my keyboard! HaHaHa

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

YOu bastard You make me wake my wife up because I was laughing so hard.

Great........

12. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I heard Christopher Lambert saying it as I read. Thanks Benning!! :D

13. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

What, this wasn't the first thing to pop into anyone elses head? It's a natural!

14. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

I still can't believe that this legislation exists and what disturbs me more is this is where the peace, love, hippy crap a$$holes want us to go.

We have to stand up for ourselves and vote, protest, write and be a general pain in the a$$ before this happens to us.

15. winch

winch New Member

We had a Samurai Sword incident here in Baltimore last year. The bad guy (burglar) got his hand cut off by the home owner, and he bled to death. Just recently, the state decided they would NOT prosecute the home owner...that was surprizing considering the attitude of the local liberals.

16. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

didnt this also happen to a college student in Denver last fall...??
    a male student heard an intruder in his garage late at night (after his garage had been broken into twice earlier that month) and went to investigate, however this time grabbing his samuri sword off the wall (for whatever reason, closest weapon in reach, first thought, whatever).

so when he opened the door into the garage, he startled the intruder who then lunged towards him. not sure if the kid just stood still with the sword out or reacted defensively, either way he ended up fatally wounding the intruder who died on the scene.

and I have not heard of any charges pressed against the kid since then. the dead intruder turned out to have quite the history of past burglaries and crimes...

guess he wasn't alive either to press charges :eek:

17. SigGambler

SigGambler New Member

Wow, with all the killings lately using a Katana it sounds like the "Way of the Samurai" is back in business!!

[​IMG]

18. winch

winch New Member

The incident you describe was the one I was referring to....it happened in Baltimore....unless there were 2 different cases.

19. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Demishing Liberties

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine you guys would become ruled by a nanny state like ours. It is a sad day when the rights of the criminal are more important than the victim. Best of luck guys sincerely hope you do not end up with no guns and civil rights. Like us. It is reasuring that the good old jury is still the rank and file and we have fookin had enough

20. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Yeah robo; it's the "we don't want the public turning into private vigilantes" mindset. And one that is wholeheartedly supported by the majority of the population here, which is why we will never have armed defence laws. I don't know about Britain, but here if someone defended themselves with a firearm, it wouldn't go down that well with the public at large (although one rather elderly man was accquitted of shooting a burglar in Perth, if I recall correctly). But that doesn't mean this would apply to the majority. Such has been our indoctrination [​IMG]

The problem with 'the police are the only people adequately trained' theory is they must re-qualify with their service pistol only twice a year. Which means the civillian competition shooter gets far more practice than LEOs (since they do not have individual firearms licences, and do not own personal weapons as a rule - unless involved in comps privately)

Hey that's the NHS* for you :p (*UK National Nealth Scheme)

ROFL!