Samples of Ken Hurst's Engraving

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by canebrake, Feb 2, 2009.

1. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Ken forwarded the following samples of his work and ask if I would start a thread for him.

Should you want to contact Ken via email feel free to do so; kenhurst@suddenlink.net

Enjoy:

[​IMG]

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

3. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst New Member

As I was asked to post a few pictures of my scratching --- here they are. I don't know enough about computers to post so asked Mr. Canebreak to help, thanks Canebreak. This past summer makes 50 years of engraving firearms & I think I'm getting the hang of it --- enough so that I may make a career of it. My past history combines working as a custom shop master for both Colt and Win. with doing work with Tom and Bill Ruger as well. After leaving Colt, I started an engraving Co. and also sat up the engraving course for the state of N.C. at Montgomery Tech. Institute in Troy, N.C. I taught this course for a short time & turned it over to Mr. Jessie Houser (an apprentist of mine) while I went back to running my engraving co. in Linchburg, Va. Over the years, I have continued to work seven days a week , 10-15 hours a day . In the event anyone has questions, I would prefer you call me (910-221-5288) as I'm always in the shop & it takes me longer than most to answer emails. FWIW

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

WOW! That is some really impressive work Ken. Very nicely done.

JD

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Hey guys, see that!!

Look, MR. CANEBRAKE, kinda rolls off the tongue…huh…Mr. Canebrake wow…….[​IMG]

See BenningBoy, respect, take notes! Of course, Ken's a noobie and hasn't a clue who the real canester is!! I'm sure I'll spend this capital quickly! :eek:

Ken, all joking aside; it’s an honor to welcome you to the FTF and my pleasure to assist you in posting your work. Never hesitate to send me more photographs to put up.

As a retired mechanical engineer, I complement (and envy) your skills.

In this instant-gratification, fast-food, jiffy-lube world, it’s refreshing to see a true artesian!

I’m sure I speak for all members that we are looking forward to more examples of your life’s work.

6. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst New Member

Many thanks Mr. Canebreak. You've been a great help to me as I would never get a picture on the net if I had to do it myself. Best regards Sir .......

7. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

That is some sweet ass work Ken, thanks for sharing. :D

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Many years ago, I had to opportunity to meet Mr. Hurst briefly, and take a tour of his shop (at that time in Campbell County VA, near Lynchburg). Mr. Hurst was very much a gentleman, and the work in progress in his shop absolutely blew me away. Truly fantastic, high quality work. Good to see you are still around, sir- and still doing some fine carving in steel. Best wishes-

C3Shooter

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Sir, you are a true craftsman. Welcome here.

10. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst New Member

Thanks for the kind words guys. Yeah, that shop in Rustburg sometimes held as many as 1000+ guns waiting to be engraved. Of course, the bulk of these were production run orders for organizations such as peolice deptments and factory orders. But, what the heck --- they were still being bought by the average consumer gun collector.

11. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Breathtaking! Please post more.

12. dragoon

dragoon New Member

Marvelous ! How much does a peice like that cost ?

Does he have a website or blog that showcases other works ?

13. fireguy

fireguy New Member

That is some fine work. I would have to take a lot better care of my guns if I had something like that done to them. And thanks Mr. Canebrake for posting these pics for Mr. Hurst.

14. yankee2500

yankee2500 New Member

You are a true Master Craftsman, great looking work.

15. P90

P90 New Member

I appreciate Art, and always impressed at the talent good Artists have. We have some very good Engraving Artists, that are available now. Mr Hurst is one of them. If you enjoy Engraving, it is something that you can enjoy during your lifetime, then pass on to your Children, and Grandchildren, for them to enjoy. A good Engraved Gun will last several lifetimes, with normal usage and care.