Sammy Davis Jr

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by JonM, Oct 8, 2012.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

stumbled across this looking for ruger vaquero info...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aNzFYHyz8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0acMU9nOFzo[/ame]

2. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

My dads fave don't believe he ever saw that Wow thanks Jon

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Wow, I never knew that about Sammy :eek: ... puts him up another notch on the kick azz kewl meter ;)

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Very cool. When I was a kid I had a canary that I named Sammy because boy, could that bird sing. LOL

5. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I remembered SDJ doing a routine on the rifleman. Searched youtube, they got it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddFqDq8LyKI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Can anyone tell what kind of gun that is that Sammy's got?

Oh, wait.........is it a Ruger Vaquero? :eek:

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

not a vaquero. those have only been around a decade or two. ruger made them to replicate the dimensions of the colt saa. he is prolly using a colt saa.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Nope= "Him" waz a little before a vaquero's time :rolleyes:

9. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Many years ago he went on tour in Australia. He had a couple of guns conficated when he entered the country. He got into a bit of trouble, but I can't recall if he was actually arrested, or just detained at the airport. I don't know what the final disposition was. He was one hell of a talented guy.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

He was huge fan of cowboy movies and got his start with a plastic gun and holster that cost like $0.50 back in the day. I remember seeing that episode of The Rifleman, that was a great show at the time, and being amazed.

I read that Michael Beihn, as Johnnie Ringo, wanted to learn that style of twirling routine for his "show off" session with Doc Holiday in Tombstone. 2:20 in.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jFqedKrdYc[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I must admit i remember that :eek:

12. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

He had a great talent.
    And a Gun Nut too.

13. crossfire

crossfire New Member

I remember these. If I'm not mistaken, Sammy's "performing" revolver was a Great Western but he also owned a Colt or two. Ditto for James Arness. Dean Martin wasn't bad with a sixgun either.

14. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Dean Martin once shot himself in the hand supposedly while cleaning his gun, but rumor was it was actually his wife Cathy who shot him. There was also an incident involving his son Dino possessing an illegal full auto weapon that may have been accidentally discharged, but I can't remember the details.

15. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Sammy Davis Jr ~ A great talent gone from our midst. I was fortunate to have met him once on Broadway. A real, down-to-earth life-pleaser! :)

16. crossfire

crossfire New Member

It wasn't his gun and it wasn't while cleaning it. It was his manager's 9mm semi-auto and, as the story goes, he picked it up off the shelf and it just went off.
    I believe the story that his wife shot him and he probably had his hand was up in a reflex response.

17. I saw the late, great Mr. Davis perform his twirling and quick draw routine on the old Johnny Carson show. As I recall, he warned the technicians to turn the microphones and the light intake on the cameras down prior to him firing the blank.

Also, I believe he competed in quick-draw competitions prior to the trick hammers and such.

And I could listen to him sing all night.

I don't have a video - probably on You Tube somewhere - but the late Mel Torme was a gun collector and quick-draw enthusiast also. I could listen to him sing all night as well.

Sigh... I hope to catch their routines in Heaven.

18. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Herb Persons best I've seen on video with a gun.

19. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Back in the early 1960s cowboy quick draw was all the rage. Thell Reed was the King of the fast guns. Back in the day Hollywood actors did not hate guns and shooting sports. Mel Torme famous singer of the day a major Colt Expert Sammy Davis often appeared with his Orvo Jolla belt and holster[Ojolla is the guy drawing on Mat Dillion in the opening of GS]. Of all the actors who engaged in the fast draw of the 60s the fastest was Glen Ford.:)

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

the communists took over helliwood in the mid-late 40's and the antigun antiamerican march was on. its a shame because artistic firearms handling like sammy's is a true art.

senator joe mccarthy was so 1000% right. thats why he was mocked and denegrated by the very communists he strove to roust from holliwood. thus died firearms as entertainment