Saiga 7.62x39 what ammo does it like??

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by louieboots, Apr 2, 2012.

1. louieboots

louieboots New Member

I just bought a Saiga and was wondering if Tulammo is ok to run through it? What's the best ammo to use for this rifle? This is my first AK don't know much yet..

2. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

That's one of the best things about AKs, they'll eat anything you feed them. I'm a fan of wolf but try a few and see what you like best, your AK will work just fine with whatever you put in it.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

AK's (Saigas) are made to eat the lousiest dirtiest crap. Tul, Wolf, Chicom, it all works

4. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

I have one and it eats Tula just fine.

5. louieboots

louieboots New Member

That's what I figured.. Thanx for the feedback guys can't wait to pick it up in a few days! Hey what do you guys think of the UTG side mount rail to put a red dot? Or should I just leave iron sights?

6. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Im not a big fan of the side mounts. I try to stay away from UTG stuff as well. I also dont like side mounts because you can't cowitness. Also, you have to take it off to disassemble the rifle, or so I've heard. I went with a Midwest Industries Saiga railed handguard so I could cowitness. I know mjkeat has a mount on his that replaces the rear sight and cuts down on weight. I dont remember what brand it is so maybe he'll chime in here. I like to be able to use my irons or my rds on my rifles without having to remove anything. Just my preference though.

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Correction - http://www.rsregulate.com/products.php - co-witnesses and doesn't require removal to clean.

The mount I have is made by M.I. It works great.

OP - avoid UTG

8. louieboots

louieboots New Member

Thanks I will check it out..

9. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Right on keat. I was told by someone that has that UTG side mount that they can't cowitness with it and that they have to remove it to disassemble. I incorrectly assumed that would be the case for all side mounts. Thanks for setting me straight.

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

It's cool when the innovators get some acknowledgment. I have been following that mounts for some time, 1+ years if I remember correctly.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

B Square makes a saddle mount that pins to the receiver on AK's that dont have side mounts. No new holes. Removal is not necessary for cleaning but I dont belive you can co witness.

12. MACV_SOG

MACV_SOG New Member

Go with GREEN DOT ,not red! Spec ops use green as extensive studies show green is better & more quickly perceived by the human eye.

13. VASH1456

VASH1456 New Member

For some strange reason my saiga .223 dosen't like steel cased ammo.