Saiga 223

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by GratefulHead77, Oct 11, 2011.

1. GratefulHead77

GratefulHead77 New Member

I have been doing a little research on the Saiga 223 and have so far read really good reviews of this rifle. Does anyone recommend getting one of these rifles, the price of these guns seem to be in the low $300's and the reliability seems to be pretty darn good. Also wondering if they have a warranty seeing that they are made in Russia??? Anyways just looking for some insight on these and any valuable info is always appreciated. :D

2. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I've been doing a lot of research on Saigas as of late, and while I have never shot one, I would recommend them. They are true Russian AKs, built in a sporting configuration so they can be imported to the U.S. Depending on what you want the rifle for, it can be converted back to it's original configuration for somewhere in the neighborhood of $200, depending on what parts are used. Once this is done, your 922r compliance is met, and you've installed a bullet guide, you can use 30 round Galil mags.

If the conversion is the way you want to go, you can get all the parts needed from Carolina Shooters Supply. They also have videos on youtube, just search for Saiga Conversion, and look for their set of videos. If you can use a drill and a tap, you can do the conversion in several hours.

A Saiga is definitely going to be my next purchase, maybe my next two, I just can't decide which caliber to go with first, 7.62x39 or 5.45x39. If you have any other questions just let me know, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

-Fred

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

3. GratefulHead77

Thanks for the recommendation I am going to go pick one up tomorrow in 5.56 brand new for $329.99. After countless hours of research it just seems like too good of a deal to pass up. Once I pick it up the first mod will be to add the pistol grip, any recommendations on where to pick one up for cheap???

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Saiga Stocks
    This is just one source. I have seen cheaper.

5. chris1234

chris1234 New Member

re saiga .223

I have owned a saiga 308 win now for over 2 years and its a great piece of kit,
    reliable shoots great and easy to clean.
    I made my own dragunov type stock and forestock, even put some springs in the stock to lessen recoil.
    I would recommend these rifles to anyone.
    cheers chris

6. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Watch this [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER4xCkd4_do]video[/ame], it's a five part series, and it shows you how to do the conversion. For you to attach the pistol grip, you have to do the conversion.

If you watch it and decide that it's what you wanna do, then go here, and look through and see what conversion kit suits your fancy. They've got everything from traditional warsaw pact length stocks, all different sorts or folders and collapsible stocks, just depends on what you're looking for.

To my knowledge, all of the kits come with the saw style pistol grip, but they have all sorts of pistol grips for AKs, as well as an adapter that will let you use an AR grip as well.

-Fred

7. GratefulHead77

Thanks for the link.

8. GratefulHead77

Thanks again Fred, your input is much appreciated. I am looking forward to getting this as a fun mod project that I hope someday will have a drum mag along with other fun stuff, looks like a lot of fun adding all kinds accessories to it and that will be the final mod to complete the package. I'll upload a pic tomorrow and give updates to my project gun as it goes along. Cheers!!!

9. bigtex52

bigtex52 New Member

Check out J&G Sales. They have most of their Saiga sporters on sale for $299.99 and in calibers of .410 shotgun, .223, 7.62x39 and 5.45x39.

10. chris1234

chris1234 New Member

Nice imformation video - pleasure to watch.

chris

11. GratefulHead77

Here's my new Saiga 223 I just picked up today, truly a remarkable little carbine. Just spoke with the dealer about getting the 308 with a 22" barrel in a few months.

Attached Files:

12. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Nice! Can't wait till I get mine.

Those long barreled 308's are really nice, though somewhat hard to find. I would definitely like to get one in the future and convert it into a Dragunov-esque rifle. We'll just have to see what the future brings.

-Fred

13. chris1234

chris1234 New Member

I have a saiga win 308 and made my own dragunov style stock and fore stock
    its a great rifle, though only striaght pull, not auto due to our laws.
    I have even put springs in the stock to lesen recoil, great shooter and a joy to operate.

14. chevyforlife1972nova

chevyforlife1972nova New Member

I have 3 Saiga's the one problem you are going to have is mags for the 223. There are 3 differnt lines at the plant and depending on what line you got and what bullet guide you put in will determine what mags you can use. One friend uses Galil and the other uses circle 10 ak mags. I have also heard of people using ak-74 mags and changing the followers out. Great rifle I will be buying a few more from J&G.

15. GratefulHead77

No issues so far I bought two 30 rounders and they cycle fine so far.

16. chevyforlife1972nova

You are using U.S. made mags I guess since you have not done the conversion. They will break lol and then you will want some real mags.

17. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

Love the saigas! I plan on getting a 223. With a 20 in barrel. Hopefully my next purchase. A friend of mine converted a 5.45 and it sure is cherry!

18. bo08

bo08 New Member

Can you install a bullet guide without doing the other parts of the conversion?

19. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

Yes. If all you want is high cap mags but still want the sporter look, do it up.

20. chevyforlife1972nova

Do it up and go to jail.... lol
    The only mags you can run in a saiga without a full 922r conversion is us made ones which need no bullet guide if you want to use foreign mags you have to be 922r or it is a illegal gun.