Saiga .223 vs Bushmaster ar 15

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by kyboy, Jan 24, 2014.

1. kyboy

kyboy New Member

You're in a cold, wet, muddy, holler with no tools and cleaning kits. The ammo that you have may be military surplus or any random .556 that you can find on the deceased. You are in a battle shtf situation and you have a choice of one of these two rifles, which is it and why.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Well, Bushmaster has been questionable lately. Colt, FN, LMT, Bravo Co., GM, may be a different story. But given this particular set of chioces I'd go Saiga just because of more consistent product. AK based guns fail when they get dirt in the wrong spots too.

3. mrfox556

mrfox556 New Member

Is the saiga converted, or in sporter configuration? I'd say the bushmaster because I'd expect to see more of those in a shtf situation. More parts, mags, etc. And if I'm able to salvage ammo, I'm able to salvage weapons too. I imagine to possibility to upgrade will constantly be presenting itself.

4. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Mr fox I like the way you think abt ways being able to upgrade. Saiga converted.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

personally, neither of em are on the list of choices i would use...

lots better choices in the price range of those two.

6. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Then tell us Jon. What would you prefer?

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

bcm lightwieght midlength carbine in 556 psa colt dd would also be acceptable. or a wasr10/63 in 7.62x39.

my personal ohst goto get the zombies gun is a scar17s. back up rifle is my bcm midlength bhf lightweight. eitehr of which is good. also got a wasr 10/63.

i would take my mosin 91/30 over a bushmaster or saiga 223... :)

issue i have with the saiga is finding spare parts and mags. saiga arent very aftermarket friendly.

8. kyboy

kyboy New Member

You and I must be long lost brothers. Out of EVERY single gun I own my mosin is my favorite by far. Thats what i hunt with and would feel most deadly in a shtf situation. Heres mine....I refinished it. Its a hex

Attached Files:

9. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Thats what I tell everyone that the mosin is my favorite gun and they just laugh at me. I have taken 6 deer and a buffalo in 3 yrs with it and never shot more than once at any animal.

10. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I would choose an AK over an AR. The positive attributes of an AK beat those of an AR....just ask the Afghanis. I would not chose either one like JonM. Being realistic (not have a full auto weapon), I would choose a Galil in .308. I wish I still had mine.:(

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Saiga's were a great deal when you could walk into Cheaper Than Dirt and buy one for $250. My brother still has a saiga 223. He took a nice antelope with it in west TX. He shot the antelope in the head. My brother is an unusual creature. He will not mount a scope on anything. His range is limited to around 200 yards.

Now they want $800 for a Saiga. I can find a used Browning that is much more accurate and desirable for $800 or less.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  12. MaineMan

MaineMan New Member

Dude, we are both of German blood! how can you not see the AR is a much better choice?

13. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Jager..how about a semi auto .308 saiga ?

14. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I would also want to check out the C93. I've been eyeing one for a while. I would also look for a 7.62x51 FAL or PTR91. I wish I could find a Galil. It really is not about what you have to a point, but what you can pick up. I'd bug out with a 1942 M38 Swede. Simple, reliable, very accurate. It is lighter then the K31. Problem with smaller rounds is penetration on harder targets or cover. I'd be hard pressed to take a scoped rifle unless it had irons also.

15. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Jager I would choose an ak over a cheap stamped receiver AR any day as well

16. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

OK, You both stand at 500 yards, 2 to 1 advantage. I can hit you both before you get into effective range with either. If you think you"ll crawl on your belly to get close enough, I'll have dinner, take a nap and make a right hook around you. Your going to either high or low. While your looking at a camp fire, I'll be behind you.

17. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

18. MaineMan

MaineMan New Member

my AR is a 308

19. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I would feel more comfortable with a German engineered one. Here is my Hera Arms 15th Dynamic. This set up costs around 3000 dollars. A 1 to 7 twist barrel. Customized by Pro Tuning to include tungsten coating. Still...I prefer an AK. This is from my personal experience with both weapon systems. I can clean an AK with my shemagh if I have to. An AR needs loving to work properly. AK works in extreme cold temperatures and in any type of environment.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      29 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      31.3 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg