Saiga .223 shooting very low.

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by tlech29, Jan 17, 2014.

1. tlech29

tlech29 New Member

My saiga .223 has been shooting low even when I move the rear sight all the way up....anyone recommend a good red dot for a fair price for this piece ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Firearms Talk mobile app

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

If by moving the SIGHT up you mean actually raising it by moving the slider forward to 600 yards, it is very unusual for an AK to shoot low. I want to be sure I understood you correctly. Moving the SLIDER up lowers the POI.

3. tlech29

tlech29 New Member

Sorry....I meant all the way back even below the 1 on the sights.. mine goes from nothing to 1 then 3 then 3. I have it as far back as it will go below the 1 and still shoots very low. I guess I just need to out a red dot on it but I live using iron sights

4. tlech29

tlech29 New Member

Then 2 then 3 sorry

5. brianhurley707

brianhurley707 New Member

What distance are you shooting at?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  6. tlech29

tlech29 New Member

Thats the thing. It will shoot very low at 50 yds with the sight pushed all the way back. I dont think its me as I hunt with a mosin nagant and am used to the ruskie sights.

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Does it shoot higher if you move the slider "forward"? Those sights are often not spot on calibrated but can be zeroed individually.

8. brianhurley707

brianhurley707 New Member

That's what I'd try. Go to 75-100yds and screw with the sights until it's better. I just bought a saiga in 7.62x39 hope mine doesn't do the same haha

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Pushing the slider forward should increase your elevation. Pushing it to the rear lowers the rear sight and will lower your Point of Impact. If it is a couple inches off at 50 yds you can screw the front sight downward to increase elevation. (Front sight is adjusted opposite of rear sight)

10. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Move the sights forward and raise the front that should do the trick. You have one of the most reliable and well made weapons you could own. Plus the Saigas are actually made in Russia

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  11. dyslexic_llama

dyslexic_llama New Member

All the way back to the very rear of the sight is battle zero for 300 meters.

Your rear sight should be covering the line just below the 1 mark.

If set to the 1 and you're still hitting low then you're onto the question of whether your front sight post is level or if it's elevated too far.

If it is elevated too far up it will drop your shot low, you will need a pair of pliers or a sight tool to lower or raise the front sight.
    If your rifle came with a cleaning kit then you already have a sight adjustment tool, it should look like a flathead screwdriver with a notch in it.

Adjustment tool on bottom.
    [​IMG]

If you are shooting off to one side you will need to adjust the front sight drum to the correct side with a sight tool, which is not provided with a cleaning kit, unfortunately.

I have an NCStar adjustment tool, it cost me $6 and works good.

This article may help.

http://www.ak-47.net/ak-47/sightingin.php

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  12. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Thats a lot of info

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Pardon me if I missed something, but you said "raise the front sight". The rifle will shoot lower. I thought that was the problem.

14. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Sorry....I meant lower the front sight . It was early. Glad u caught me cause raising the front sight was stuck in my head and thats prob what I would have done if id had done it