saiga .223 bore brush

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by VASH1456, Apr 4, 2012.

1. VASH1456

VASH1456 New Member

What size bore brush works best to clean laquer build up from running Tula and Wolf ammo in a saiga .223 ? Thanks

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, you really need a CHAMBER brush, not a bore brush. And yes, they make chamber cleaning brushes for the ARs. Shaped like a Christmas Tree.

All else fails, find a .50 cal brush. But for heaven's sake do NOT try to push it thru the bore- chuck it in a drill, spin it in the chamber.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

It seems really strange to me that some folks get "lacquer build up" from Wolf, Tula, etc.

Of all the thousands of rounds of that type ammo that I have fired in numerous different guns, I've never seen any lacquer build up.

I also hear of lacquer "melting." I took several Russian Milsurp fired cases and put a propane torch on them. I could make the lacquer burn if I heated it enough, but I was never able to make it melt.:confused::confused::confused:

4. VASH1456

VASH1456 New Member

Will do,Thanks for the info.

5. VASH1456

VASH1456 New Member

My bad, I haven't had a problem with Wolf ammo, but I had a few TULA cases get caught in the chamber and I had to press super hard on the charging handle to get it out. Some old timers at the range said the case got stuck from the laquer build up or the case seized up because steel case ammo dosen't expand like brass does.