Saiga 12 is it the best shotgun for defense ?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by gunman41mag, Oct 22, 2015.

1. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

With all the options that's out there, is the saiga 12 best defense shotgun ??

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Probably not. Some can be ammo sensitive. They are kind of large, kind of heavy, doing a quick Buck-to-slug changeover may actually be complicated by the box mag.

Not sure what "best" is in defensive shotguns. Benelli s pretty highly regarded for semi-auto shotguns.

Many folks prefer a pump, to minimize ammo sensitivity and reduce weight of the operating parts.

3. gunman41mag

My saiga 12 had the gas ports drilled & has a gas plug & a puck, will shoot low brass. I have mags from 5 rounds to 12 rounds & i also have 12 & 20 rpund drums.

4. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

If it's what u have, and what your familiar with....then sure.

But it aint this.......:D

Attached Files:

5. gunman41mag

I like the semi-auto shotgun, cause you don't have to remove it from your shoulder to load another round into the chamber

6. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

So you believe the Saiga is the best shotgun because it is semi auto?

7. sandog

sandog Member

??????? Never had to remove my 870 from my shoulder to work the pump. You just pump it, no lowering the gun necessary. I can't see having to remove anything from your shoulder to reload it, except for a muzzleloader, or maybe a break open single shot.

8. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

9. kbd512

Somehow, all of my post was removed. Oh, well.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

the saiga 12 takes a LOT of effort to get it to run right with just one load. even then its crapshoot. this is not a defensive gun by any stretch.

numberone defense shotgun is the mossberg 500/590 second place by a good bit is the remington 870.

the only semi autos i would trust for defense would be bennellis

11. gunman41mag

I like semi-auto shotguns cause i have short arms.

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a Saiga 12 in the rack next to me in my cruiser. I got it as a loaner from a dealer some years back and tried to get it to malfunction. 10 rounds of rusty Winchester OOO buck? It ate them up w/o a hitch. These will hopelessly lock up any pump gun I have ever seen. More reliable than the Benelli entry guns our SWAT guys were using at the time. Range master was sufficiently impressed, he approved it in the spot. 3", 2 3/4", Buck, Slug, high brass, low brass, it ALL works fine. Maybe I just got lucky. Well, I know I got lucky, $450. 14" bbl, 4" breacher, folding stock.

I have a 20 rd drum in it and 4 10 rounders in various places around the vehicle for easy access. Jump out bag has 2, 5 rounders w/breaching slugs. Active shooter? Go ahead and barricade yourself in a room, we are getting in anyway.

13. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Watch these techniques. Shotgun never leaves the shoulder.
    [ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KU0wk0KbMjE"]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KU0wk0KbMjE[/ame]

14. gunman41mag

My saiga 12 will shoot #8 birdshot & it will even shoot upside down

15. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I don't like them, but that means nothing. I will say that I do not think they are an appropriate shotgun for anyone less than an experienced gun nut. Most newbies and casual shooters would be better served with a good pump. A gun nut can make good use of them it appears from my observations. I'm a gun nut myself, so no harm intended.

16. gunman41mag

17. gunman41mag

I have some Benelli M1 Super 90, but you can't slap a 20 round drum to them:D

18. kbd512

I have a SGL 12-94. That particular model SAIGA 12, with an empty magazine, was the same weight as my 870 Police Magnum before I added a magazine extension and side saddle.

Here were my requirements:

- Semi-auto
    - Less recoil than my 870P
    - Appropriate length of pull for my body
    - Rifle sights
    - Box magazine feed system
    - Folding stock
    - Optics ready

The cost for my SGL 12-94 was the same as a Benelli M1014. The factory 5 round magazines added more cost to the total cost of the shotgun. The SGL 12-94 met all of my requirements and I was willing to spend that amount of money, so I bought it.

What are your requirements?

What specific features would you like your defense shotgun to have?

How much money are you willing to part with to get exactly what you want?

19. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The best part is when I exit the cruiser and sling up the Saiga, EVERYONE stops and says WTF is THAT! Puts an end to hostilities because it looks intimidating.

Worst part is it does beat the crap out of your shoulder. Thin, hard butt plate. You know you have been in a fight.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

then you will not like a semi.

most of these have very long stocks the saiga is a big stretch unless you take a bandsaw to it or find an aftermarket stock.