saftest way to carry a 1911

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by arp1, Mar 23, 2010.

1. arp1

arp1 New Member

I have carried a S&W .40 for years,recently I got a Kimber 1911. What is the saftest way to carry, cocked and locked, or hammer down?

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

They are designed for cocked & locked carry and IMO that's the only correct way...

3. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Condition one (cocked and locked with one up the pipe), the way they are meant to be carried. With proper practice, it will become your best friend...

Jim..............

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Ah OK, this added a lot to the thread...

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

In a holster or a case with your booger hook not on the bang switch.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Condition one, cocked and locked. That's how it's designed to be carried. It has a thumb safety, grip safety and a trigger that must be squeezed. It cannot fire unless all three have been activated.

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

There ya go?

Safer than most others imo. People like James up there are only firghtened by that evil hammer exposure. ;)

8. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said. I concur with condition 1 being the only way to carry a 1911. I've heard horror stories of 1911s discharging when dropped but after careful investigation it was revealed that these guns were UNSAFELY MODIFIED in the 1st place. Even if a 1911 is dropped on the hammer so hard it shears the full cock notch, it'll just drop down to the 1/2 cock notch.

9. jackg

jackg New Member

In agreement with condition 1, cocked & locked.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Texas Ranger Charlie Miller was minding his own business when a concerned citizen came up to him, noted the hammer cocked back on the big 1911 dangling from the Ranger's belt, and asked, "Isn't that dangerous?" Charlie replied, "I wouldn't carry the son-of-a-bitch if it wasn't dangerous."

Cocked and Locked by Robert H. Boatman

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

One of my all-time favorite quotes right there Dude...

12. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

Since I am currently in the process of saving up for, and purchasing a Kimber 1911 myself, this thread provided very valuable information! I would also like to thank Canebreak for the LOL of the day.

13. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My manual actually warns against carrying with the hammer down. Usually you have a bunch of lawyers writing those books saying not to even load your gun until you shoot. But mine actually says that if carried to be used in a self defense situation it should be carried with a round in the chamber, the hamer back and the thumb safety on.

14. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

well there you go I would call it unanimous cocked and locked

15. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Are you ever going to make a post without being insulting to those of us that like 1911s? There is nothing on this earth that is "bulkier" than a Glock and nobody can dispute that. If 7+1 rounds of .45 is not enough for you, perhaps you need the capacity for spray & pray...

16. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

I thought the same thing, but if you show him he is getting under your skin...

17. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

I agree the guy is an a$$ and he only posts his crap to pi$$ people off. Best to ignore the turd and he'll go away along with all the other trolls.

18. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

1911's are very thin(single stack,duh), my aluminum frame kimber weighs just28oz unloaded, 8rds of .45cor bon's are more than enough for self defense.

There goes your whole thinking! :p

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I love my 1911. But sometimes it is too big to be descrete. If I am forced to wear shorts and a t-shirt, I will drop my 38 snubby or a 380 in my front pocket. If I am confident enough with five shots of 38, I feel invincible with 9 rounds of 45 hollow points! I feel like if I can't hit somebody with 5 or 6 shots I don't deserve 15! I think I am going to get a smaller 1911 next. Mine is a full sized model.

20. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

My thinking as well! :cool: