SAFETY while Reloading.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by cpttango30, Feb 19, 2011.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

First let me say I have been reloading for 20 to 22 years. I know my way around a reloading bench.

Tonight I was checking stock in the safe. I noticed I had ZERO 223 loaded for the AR. With spring coming and wanting to find a ground hog hunting spot or two or three. I need ammo. So I have 400 223 cases preped and ready for powder and bullet.

So I grab a box of Sierra 60gr HP Varmint bullets and I grab my H4895 and h335 powder to see which I am going to use. Well I went inside to check 6mmbr.com for graymist's ar varmint load. It called for 25gr of H4895. So back out to the bench I go. Load up the RCBS Uniflow with H4895 check my manual and see 25gr is in the safe zone. Then I add powder to my trickler. Get the block and load up the first 50 rounds in it. Wait one minute. Where the hell did this come from? I got stick in the hopper on the uniflow and ball in the trickler. HOLY CRAP. I forgot to put the damn H335 away. I caught it but I could have really screwed the hell up. What would have been worse is if I would have grabbed Varget and H4895 as they look identical.

Note to everyone. NEVER EVER EVER EVER Have 2 different types of powder on the bench at one time. I did and see what happened. A 1 second laps in attention and I could have blown up my $1500 AR and my $50k face.

SO please check the manual and decide on what powder your going to use before pulling any out. It can happen to anyone.....

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Great tip Tango and as a very new to reloading noob, I appreciate the heads up!

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Very good advice, but I'd say your face is, like, $15K.....tops.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Noooo......not your beautiful face!!

I don't reload but my friend in Cali does. He was meticulous about reading the manual and setting everything out. Like you just mentioned, he kept his powers on a shelf behind him when reloading and only took out what was called for at that time. Point well taken and a great reminder.

5. lukeisme

lukeisme New Member

I am so paranoid about that very thing that when I get out a powder from the case I relock it and set the keys in the other room. I blew a pistol up several years ago with someone eles reloads so since then I have been paranoid as heck about that.

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Great reminder!

Always check to make sure your powder dispenser is completely empty before adding new powder. I almost made a boo boo not too long back. Thought the dispenser was empty, but noticed there was still some powder left as I dumped in powder for my AR. It was in the housing below the clear tube, 5-10 rds worth. Could have been ugly:eek:

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I really did scare the crap out of myself.

I have 350 more rounds to load. So it is going to take me a while.

I really need to get a 223 set up for the dillon and buy some cheap fodder bullets and load them up with the cheapest powder I can find just for blasting ammo....

8. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Wow, good thing you noticed that! Safety is #1.

Wouldn't want to ruin the Fart Ninja's celebrity face. I would be very disappointed if there were no more installments.

Imagine if you finished 350 rounds before noticing the foul-up? Thats a lot of bullet pulling either way.