Safety razor

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Mosin, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

My ex just bought me a safety razor as a gift.

http://www.goodfella.com/best-shaving-razor-kit.html

Does anyone have any experience using these? Tips? I haven't used it yet, but tomorrow morning I'll have a go at it. Overall, so far it looks good, nice weight and balance. It's the whole badger brush/soap thing I've never used before.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Init for the pictures. :D
    My father still uses one of those "safety" razors; I would feel safer using a straight-bladed razor.

3. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

Yep my first real razor after the pop-sicle sticks I found the one without the “comb” much better still have it to pass down to my grandson. Use plenty of foam/soap.

4. steve666

steve666 New Member

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Why would your "ex" buy you a safety razor? :confused:

6. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Were still friends. It was an amicable separation. I'm a merchant marine, and she didn't want to deal with the whole being at sea for 4-8 months a year. I'm okay with that, I understand it's hard.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Not sure i would use one of those on a boat...

The reason its called a safety razor is because you can still mangle yourself but not cut deep enough to kill yourself. Its barely better than a straight edge safety wise but gives a realllly good shave. You dont really nick yourself with one so much as slice your face open.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  8. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I don't shave at sea. I prefer to go all wild man while I'm away from the civilized world. Thanks for the heads up though.:)

9. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Its really not that hard.. I still use one of those "safety razors" when im in a hurry and dont want to use my straight razor..

10. Misfire

Misfire New Member

What's a razor?

11. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

You'll find out when you hit puberty. :D:p

12. Misfire

Misfire New Member

I'm 58, when does that happen? :eek:

13. orangello

orangello New Member

[​IMG]

They have a special balm called "shaving cream" and "aftershave" to treat the resulting scrapes.
    ;)

14. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I've never gone into blades but I like the aesthetics of them.

15. Seven

Seven New Member

Order some Gillette 7 O'clock "blue" pack blades made in Russia. Trust me. They work really well with the three piece razors.

Soap is the key. A good cream soap like any made by Taylor's of Old Bond Street give a lot better and more protective shave than any cake soap you'll find local like Williams. It's also easier to work into a good lather.

Nothing is more "ymmv" than shaving gear, but Walmart brand stuff will turn you off to wet shaving.

I have a Edwin Jagger 89, and a Merkur 34. But, lately I've mostly been using a Weber head (made in the US) on a custom handle. All my razors are three piece razors like yours.

[​IMG]

:shameless plug:
    I restore vintage brushes and make custom brushes on the side.

[​IMG]

16. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

How long does a brush usually last?

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have a bunch of old safety razor stuff. stroppers and all that. I like the crappy new stuff they have. Pop one chingadera out and clip a new one in. works good for me.

18. Seven

Seven New Member

According to my dad "10+ years if you take care of it."