Safety First

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Jo da Plumbr, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

San Diego, CA 92109

Kaboom

This is an excellent example of what not to do. I would guess improper reloading technique or lack of attention to detail. Probable double charge of fast powder would do this..... ouch!!

A guy came into our department the other day to ask a favor. He had a S&W 629 that he wanted to dispose of after a mishap at the range. He said there was a loud bang when he tested his new load and the gun smacked him in the forehead, leaving a nice gash. When the tweety birds cleared, this is what he saw.....

Attached Files:

2. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

yikes!

I guess he's lucky to tell about it.:eek:

3. 1919A4

1919A4 New Member

At least it was only one of the ones with a lock. That's not as serious as destroying one of the classic models.

4. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Re-loaders wake-up call....Always safety first, no distractions, know your equipment and always be aware of your powder charges. There are no accidents in re-loading, just negligence !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was lucky "THIS TIME".

Jim.........................................

5. 1919A4

1919A4 New Member

+1. A friend of mine has a TV in his reloading area and he watches it while he charges cases. We've argued over that a few times but he sees nothing wrong with it. One of these days... :rolleyes:

6. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Good point! :D

The sad thing is - he has plenty of company out there....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Holy Hell!! That is some SERIOUS self inflicted pain there.... God damn!!

We had a guy who messed up a load on a brand new Sako. Split that barrel like a banana peel all the way down to the action and peeled the scope half way off.

Not a good day!!

JD

8. 1919A4

1919A4 New Member

The M-1A picture always makes me cry.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

No Kidding. That has to be about $4K worth of Ooops right there... :(

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

That has to be the most catastrophic revolver mishap I have ever seen. I would send it to S&W to see if there was a metal failure not caused by ezxessive pressure (I seriously doubt it). The remainder of the ammo in that batch should be disassembled to determine WTF happened. I seriously doubt a double charge of something like bullseye could do that. Possibly a half charge of 296, it does weird things at low load density.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Looks like a double charge or maybe a triple charge. If you look at the OP you can see the first one blew and then set off the one on the right and left. So that is 3 cartridges going off all at once. I have seen this a few times in person. Everyone was loaded on a wait for it................................... Dillon RL550b. This is why I have the RCBS powder cop die. Once adjusted it locks up the press if the powder is off even by the slightest amount.

12. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Done that!! Brother-in-law and I loaded 38 brass with 14.5 grains of Unique. Thought it was 4.5!!

Made his Model 19 .357 look just like the 629!! Exception being his dad talked us into unloading the other cylinders. Lucky all three of us are still here!!

13. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Got that right.

Before and after pics of the guy with the Garand:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009