Safe!

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by fmj, Feb 10, 2012.

1. fmj

fmj Active Member

I have been ogling fire proof safes for quite a few years. I Bought a 14 gun Sentry safe 15 or more years ago. Just to get me by and give me piece of mind, as i couldnt afford a quality fire safe at the time. Well, i outgrew the old one and with the newest addition coming home in a month or so there simply would NOT be room for it.

This time i went big! It was VERY difficult to part with the amount of coin in did. The way i justified the cost is simple, the .22 that was my grand fathers is worth as much as i paid for the safe, my gramps .35 is worth double or more. Not to mention the rest of the boom sticks. Not only all that but i feel in the long run it will be well worth it. I have room to grow, room to pack all my gear into one place and most importantly the rig is fire and flood proof. I shouldnt ever have to bite this particular bullet again.

After seeing no less than 5 houses, in this neighborhood alone, burn so far this winter, 2 total losses, I will be able rest easy knowing the ONLY unreplacable things i have (heirloom guns, pictures) are well protected.

Cannon 48 gun fire safe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I found this to be the over riding feature in choosing Cannon. Liberty has a comparable safe, but this little feature is more coin. Also, the libertys i looked at were $200 more WITHOUT the outlet feature.
    2-110 oulets, usb port and ethernet port.
    [​IMG]

And a gratuitous shot. There will be some rewarding tonight after all the work of grunting this BEAST into place!
    [​IMG]

Now all it needs is a door organizer, rope light and de-humidifier.

2. vincent

vincent New Member

That's when moving day is so much fun!! You'll have your nose in there for the next few weeks!! Congrats!!!

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I couldnt agree with you more I have 3 of my grandfathers antique rifles amongst all my stuff that I have bought and inherited from my father and the $$$ I spend was about 1/10 of what I have in the value of my guns ,it was time to finally break down and buy a safe . I coundnt pass on the deal I got it was normally $799 marked down to $699 and they had a truckload discount sale I ended up getting it for $479+ tax . I will say this a 24 gun will hold realisitically a little more than half of what it says if your loading rifles in it and dont want them to touch each other . You start cramming AR's or things with scopes on them in there and whoa talk about take up some space , I am in the process of making my own door hangers to move some pistols and ARs to to make more safe room . Im not going to have to worry about it going anywhere its bolted to the 6" thick concrete in my garage .
    One suggestion when you buy a dehumidifier buy a good one like a golden rod . Dont buy the lockdown model its a POS. I am on my second one and it wont keep my safe any warmer than room temperature which defeats its purpose .

4. fmj

fmj Active Member

Yeah, I suspect i will have a very difficult time recruiting folks to help us should we ever decide to move. :eek:

I was looking at the Liberty and Cannon 24 gun safes. Where i bagged this one they had the Cannon 24 for $600. My eldests room mate has a decent collection, for a 23 y/o, but has no safe. (an ar, a saiga 12 guage, and a glock 30) I offered him my old safe for $400 and he said he would take it. So i figured theres my extra $400 to make up the difference between the 24 and the 48. So i got the 48 and am happy i did.

Thanks for the advice on the dehumid rods. I was looking at the golden rods. But i saw one (the brand escapes me) that is flat in profile and flexible. I might go that direction to save space....dunno yet.

5. vincent

vincent New Member

No, I meant moving your collection from the old place to the new safe, I must have re-arranged mine 100 times...

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I wouldnt worry about it being flat as they recommend them horizontal in the bottom of the safe , I mounted mine as close to the bottom / front as possible and you dont even notice its there as the door goes over top of it and nothing will be up against it there anyway .

7. fmj

fmj Active Member

LOL! OH that, yeah, i have moved things around a few times now. But hell i have so much space compared to the old one i dont know what to do with it all. :rolleyes:

OHHHhhhhh! Good call, never thought about putting it in front under the door. Been too busy *****ing about that drop. My old safe had a "false floor" so the guns went in and out without having to worry about bumping them into the door jamb. Now i see a reason for it and can quit *****in'

8. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

It's beautiful !!

Brought a tear to my jealous eye just looking at it.

Congrats you lucky dog