safe or locker?

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by K0rN_b4LL, Jan 13, 2019.

1. FAS1

FAS1 Active Member

Renters insurance should be a given, but that doesn't do anything to keep your guns off the black market. Personally, I want to make it as hard as I can (within reason and my personal means) for the thief to get any of my guns. Nothing is perfect, but I want to slow them down enough that they might move on to an easier target.

Caveman Jim, OLD Ron and Dallas53 like this.
  2. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Very innovative method. Out of sight, out of mind.

Caveman Jim and Dallas53 like this.

3. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Modular safe would get my vote. Worked many burglaries over the years. Only true gun "safe" breeched was carried off and cut into the bottom at another place. Back in the day, safe burglars were common - burning bars, drilling peeling. Doubtful "pros" would target a 3rd floor apartment for a couple of guns which bring a fraction of their worth from a fence.(But I don't know your neighbors). Lockers are for gear, not guns. I have three safes, three lockers, and a professionally installed/monitored alarm system.

I must add that location is important. My home is very rural with low crime. Someone in/near urbanity's situation is quite different.

Caveman Jim, OLD Ron and Dallas53 like this.
  4. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

Get yourself a safe. If your like most of us on here. Your collection is going to grow. To help with getting it to the 3rd. floor, most bigger safes the door comes off. That sheds a lot of weight. Dont forget to remove the stuff inside too. Tractor Supply has great deals. I got mine from there as well.

5. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

Here's another issue I see with a safe on the 3rd floor. How many people have moved a safe up a flight of stairs, much less two flights of stairs?

Second issue I see, is that EVERYONE is going to know you just moved a safe up to your apartment, and guess what? They now know you got some valuables you are trying to safeguard.

Not likely you are going to get a huge and heavy safe up two flights of stairs, unobserved!

SGWGunsmith, Caveman Jim and JRDallas like this.
  6. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I would get a job box double protected locks if you can fasten it to the floor or wall done.
    If not line the bottom with a couple of layers patio blocks.
    Nothing is fool proof but these things are very difficult to break into.

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  7. film495

film495 Active Member

people are going to see you moving a gun safe or cabinet, and if you are concerned with theft the less people know the better. i'd vote for just getting a wood chest or something, and reinforcing it internally with some extra framing and tweak the top so it would accept a couple good padlocks, but on the back side so it just looks like an old crap piece of furniture with nothing special about it. maybe put some cement blocks or bricks in the bottom so it is heavy as eff and it isn't going anywhere.

another strategy might be to get as cheap a little gun locker as you can get and put it in an obvious place - and see if someone steals it. but, it is a decoy and have your stuff stored in the trunk that nobody knows about. put a few items in the decoy cabinet and it would feel like there's valuables in it. most thieves go in and out as fast as possible, so - a little locking cabinet would be pretty tempting to a thief looking for a quick score. just tell people you know that's where you keep your firearms - so, if it is somebody you know who robs you, you've tricked them into stealing nothing of value to you.

this reminds me I should bolt my locker to the floor and wall, so it can't just be carried out.

Caveman Jim and OLD Ron like this.
  8. FAS1

FAS1 Active Member

This is how a Zanotti safe is delivered. When you move you can do the same thing.

[​IMG]

SGWGunsmith and OLD Ron like this.
  9. SGWGunsmith

Somebody was thinkin' when they came up with assembly style gun safes. I had one customer down in southeastern Wisconsin who built his gun room in his basement, below where they extended and made the wife's kitchen much bigger. He then had a safe door installed into the cement block room with all sorts of reinforcing rods and I-beams to fortify his "safe room".

FAS1 likes this.
  10. Splaat

Splaat New Member

I definitely like those zanotti’s. I like that even the delivery guy isn’t sure what it is. I want more than a cabinet, but don’t like the idea of anyone knowing that I have guns. I read on one of these forums the other day about someone upset about getting robbed and their safe broken into after they only had the safe a short time. To me, that guy wasn’t connecting the dots. The damn delivery guy knew the gun safe was delivered there and put him on the “list”, I bet. A bit paranoid? Maybe. I’d definitely like to step up and get something that offers more protection both from burglary and fire, but I’m not a young chicken and neither are my close friends. We’d never be able to manage a REAL safe ourselves - getting it from the store, loaded on a trailer, unloaded and into position in my house. So, stuck with damn cabinets unless I move just far enough up for basic fire protection in something like an amsec Tf5517...that is something I could handle. But, it just doesn’t seem worth it for so little more than a cabinet. Argh :mad:

SGWGunsmith and Missouribound like this.
  11. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

Maybe. But the delivery guy also knew that you had your guns locked up. It's not that easy to break into a safe. It takes time and resources (tools). There are literally hundreds of alarm systems available for any home...from the cheap $50 to the ultra expensive whole home systems. And there are camera systems. If you are paranoid about security, and most of us are, you have options. Even a ADT sticker in the window is a deterrent.
    So is a dog dish on the front porch. Paranoia is like alcohol....a little is a good thing, too much will mess you up.

SGWGunsmith likes this.
  12. Splaat

Splaat New Member

True and valid points!

13. SGWGunsmith

I've thought about installing a camera system, but I guess, not seriously enough to have one installed. Also, where we're located an alarm system will only have squirrels and deer heading toward further away acreage.
    Maybe that us being on the very end of a dead-end road 1½ miles off a main highway dissuades any miscreants from bothering our empire. At least nothing has been done in over 23 years now. We do have a great repore with our neighbors though. The folks who own the first parcel of land on the north side of the road right after turning off the highway is a "long-haul" trucker. And he's willing to back out his flat bed to block the road if any of us from his place to where the road ends has any trouble with unwanted guests. All the folks, 'cept for one, own guns between him and me.

14. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

If I were in the market today for secure storage, I would go the "locker" route. With the advent and easy access to lith powered cutting tools, the traditional gunsafe is not really a deterrent any more.

A good gun locker can probably keep someone out of it who only has common burglar type entry tools. If they have powered cutting tools and come prepared to get into a safe or locker, there isn't much that is going to stop them.

I tend to put a lot more effort into keeping them out of the house to begin with and simply trying to hinder and obstruct their efforts as much as possible. To that end, I think a gun locker fits the bill. I cant image that I am every going to buy another heavy and cumbersome safe, I probably wont.

My main concern now is the inevitable day my combo locks decide to stop working.. LOL

15. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Now that this is a year old, may I interject a couple of things ? First - what is the reality of crime right where you live ? (Not the metro area, city, county but your immediate neighborhood. Local cops have this info, should share.) Rougher areas need more target hardening. Second - Who are your neighbors? Even in rough neighborhoods, I've seen good people join together against the creeps and win. Third - (I didn't know this for awhile) - Some safe doors merely lift off the body of the safe when opened. Cuts weight down by a LOT when moving them. Third - A "cabinet" is better than nothing, but not by much. Fourth - If the area is bad to the point you and/or your loved ones don't feel safe to enjoy life …… MOVE.

Mercator likes this.
  16. FAS1

FAS1 Active Member

A cabinet is typically 14GA or lighter steel and will only require basic hand tools to gain access. No power tools needed and that’s the difference in a safe with thicker steel. I’m not talking about an RSC with 12GA sides either. 3/16” (7GA) at a minimum.

Regarding hidden wall decorations, you’re kidding yourself if you think they provide any security. They, along with cabinets will just keep your kids hand off and are fine if that’s your only goal.

17. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

safes (commercial) or lockers are meant as a deterrent. it wouldn't stop someone who is bound and determine.

the biggest threat for someone breaking in and getting your guns, is someone that knows you have guns to begin with.

the "danger" is if you go blabbing about your guns to family, friends, neighbors, acquaintances, co-workers, even like minded gun people you know, that you have guns and what kind or even worse you show them your guns.

face the facts, most of YOU JUST LOVE TO TALK ABOUT the firearms you own, to anybody that has a set of ears, it just is, because you are all so proud of them.:D

now, those people will tell other people that you have guns and what types, if a conversion about guns ever come up, "well my friend johnny blabbermouth, has a sweet collection of ARs and pistols, I have seen".

now, someone you have never seen or met knows you have firearms and what kind.....and it doesn't take much persuading to find our where you live,

"hey I'm looking at getting one myself, do you have his phone number?" see where I'm going with this? your buddy just told a criminal type you have firearms and he can take your phone number and find out where you live.

then there are the slimeball criminal elements you just may have in your extended family............…...if someone robs your house, chances are very good, they knew what you have, and your coming and goings. either by you blabbering or on FACEBOOK. which by the way is a good research site for any criminal. how many of you have FACEBOOK and blab about taking the family on vacation or will be out of town and when? or tell extended family members? I bet a lot of you.

no, the biggest danger of your firearms being stolen is you blabbing you have it to people you personally know.

'member boys and girls, for every one person that knows you have firearms, that number exponential increases

I would never opt for a "locker safe", spent the ducats and get a real safe with a dial and pin combination, not a electronic gizmo type.

sheriffjohn, Trunk Monkey and FAS1 like this.
  18. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

I am rather cynical .. I consider everyone to have some level of "thug" in their periphery. Maybe its the cousin of a co-worker or ex-Brotherinlaw or some guy who paints your house. It might even be the son of that little ole lady that you visit from church. Someone you know it probably talking to a thug on a regular basis. Now maybe you have some truly squared way friends who will not speak of your guns to ANYONE. I dont take the chance.. my rule has always been "don't tell people about your guns.. don't show people your guns". My guns are for me.. not show and tell. When my Dad was alive, we talked guns and I learned the "rule" from him.

If workmen have to enter the house.. the gun cabinet in the living room becomes a display for baseball equipment and books. The guns get stashed out of sight. When I did a re-finance on my mortgage and had to get a home inspection, I reached out to local law enforcement and found a LEO that did inspections as a side business. He actually suggested that I move my gun safe to a different location in the home so that the floor joists were better positioned to handle the weight.

as they say the first rule about fight club is... you don't talk about fight club

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    sheriffjohn and W.T. Sherman like this.
  19. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

OPSEC is the number one deterrent to theft. You never know who is watching or what they're going to notice. The other day I was taking out some trash at work and I noticed that someone threw away some dishes in the dumpster. So, I grabbed a plate and a bowl and a spoon to feed the alley cats on. When I did I noticed 2 Ruger boxes on the bottom of the dumpster, I didn't bother to look beyond making sure they were empty but I now know that someone I work with has two brand new Little Crappy Pistols. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to find out who.

We have a Liberty Centurion safe with a pin and tumbler lock. The list price was 600(ish) dollars but we bought it used for $325 cash from an Air Force Officer who was on his was to SHAFE and didn't want to ship it. We don't put it on public display in the living room, it lives in our bedroom which is not a part of our home that visitors generally have access to.

I don't openly display any of my guns, we don't talk to our neighbors about guns, I don't talk to my coworkers about about guns. My kids know but they have no idea what. I don't use my real name on Facebeast or my real picture and I don't post pictures of guns or targets.