safe or locker?

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by K0rN_b4LL, Jan 13, 2019.

1. K0rN_b4LL

K0rN_b4LL New Member

I'm looking to get some storage for a few rifles I have and was wondering whether I should go with a full heavy safe or just a storage locker.

I don't have kids and live by myself so I don't gotta worry about any little people trying to get into them so I'm mainly concerned about thieves. But at the same time I live in a third floor apartment so carrying a 500+lb. safe up the stairs to it would probably be a massive pain. Plus the rental company doesn't like anyone to tear into the walls or floor unless there is a really good reason so I doubt I'll be able to bolt whatever I get down, it'll be just sitting on the floor.

2. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

I only use metal lockers...

While they would keep any errant/unattended guests and kids out ... They are not safe from determined theives (or methheads) who might break in (in our absence) and work on prying them open

I might reconsider if I had more valuable guns

I have no irreplaceable guns, but a couple do have sentimental value

Dallas53, Oldoutlaw and Rifling82 like this.

3. K0rN_b4LL

K0rN_b4LL New Member

The only valuable one I have is an 03-A3 but the rest aren't worth much, I think. I got that, an AR-15, a pair of .22s, and an air rifle.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Rifling82 likes this.
  4. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

In this case, I vote locker.... 3rd floor? Yikes!

1911NUT, Jack Ryan and Dallas53 like this.
  5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

The third floor is an issue. Of course if you got a smaller safe that some professionals or gorillas could install it for you. That would probably be good. Since a couple of punks or meth heads breaking into an apartment would not have the ability to pick up even a small 200 lb safe for example and carry it down three flights of stairs. And for sure without being noticed and simply probably could not do it anyway. Normally, they also do not have the kind of tools with them it would take to breach a small quality safe. A screwdriver would not do it. A metal locker can be breached easily with a large screw driver or pry bar. As stated most common thieves will have nothing more than those two items if they have anything. For example you can get a good little safe from Tractor Supply for around $499-$600 depending on the size. My neighbor just got one and it is a nice 25 gun safe from TS. He bolted his down but he does not live on the third floor either.;) It is inside his walk in basement door on the ground floor in his man cave!
    The other consideration is how long do you plan on living there. Moving safes may not be an easy task.

PeeJay1313, Dallas53 and Rifling82 like this.
  6. K0rN_b4LL

K0rN_b4LL New Member

I dunno how long I'll be here, obviously it ain't permanent but I don't really have any plans to move any time soon. I'd still not rather mess up the wall or floor by bolting anything down though.

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

This question was asked long ago and answered by a longtime forum favorite, Orangello. He recommended renter’s insurance.

Jack Ryan, kfox75, towboater and 3 others like this.
  8. K0rN_b4LL

K0rN_b4LL New Member

Already got insurance

towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  9. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

if you are renting, and unless you have the landlord's or owner's permission, I sure wouldn't be bolting anything to the floors or walls.

JRDallas and Shopfox like this.
  10. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I like stashing them.
    Not my couch . Just a pic off the internet. maxresdefault.jpg

SGWGunsmith, kfox75 and Dallas53 like this.
  11. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Now that is an interesting idea. It would be pretty easy to convert just about any hide-a-bed.

towboater, kfox75 and Dallas53 like this.
  12. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

I bought a Liberty Centurion 12 gun on sale for 400 bucks.
    It weighs 245 lbs.
    Now that doesn't seem like much.
    Sales kid and I loaded it in my Jeep. And I got it out by myself.....not exactly fun or easy.
    Put it on dolly and lifted it up over big step into house (messed up my back doing it).
    Once inside it slid easily to back room.

Here's what I learned......a 12 gun holds about 8.
    Shoulda went with bigger.
    The 18 gun weighs 340 lbs. The 24 gun 365 lbs.

I don't understand liberals or druggies........but if they wanted to break into your safe and couldn't, they'd proly get POd and tip it over (guns inside get damaged)......if it wasn't bolted down.

For those who have friends with safes.........like down in a basement. Might want to put it on a riser of some sort.

Guy at work, arrogant jerk with lots of high end Brownings.........went on vac and we had one of those "100 yr floods". Water got up to 6" deep in his basement and those old gun stocks acted like straws. Split every one of them.

My buddy has a big safe in his basement, house actually on a hill, so basement goes out to garage. And even from there the yard slopes to a usually dry little creek. He's never had water up to the drive in the 20 yrs he's been there.

But his monster safe is on a cement riser.

Better safe than sorry (pun not intended).

My house is on a hill too, with no creek nearby.
    Zero flood risk.

Tornados another matter LOL (missed me by 100 yards last time).

Dallas53 likes this.
  13. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

here's what I would do, and have done in the past. Go for a locker, given the small amount you have at this time, and vuy a used, solid, heavy piece of furniture, such as a wardrobe, older chest of drawers, or some spackle and paint, and either bolt it to the desk, chest, ect (Why i said old and soild), or on an inside wall of the closet.

When you are ready to move, unbolt it from said furniture, or from the wall studs in the closet, at that time. Clean up the area, apply the spackle, sand it smooth, then paint it to match the closet wall. When done right, there will be no marks left where the holes were. or, you will have only damaged your own property.

Now, in my last apartment, I had three cubbyholes, tow off my bedroom, one of the living room closet, two of which were tall and wide enough to swallow a small gun cabinet, so we just bolted it to the dtuds in there. It was a bit more maintenance intensive, as there were warmer or colder than the rest of the house, so condensation was a concern. It was also a case of, if you didn't know the panel that came off was there, it pretty much did not exist.

One I use now, as my place is a rental, is I added a pair of hinges to the board on top of the old waterbed base one one of the beds, shortened the drawers on one side, and cut the frame to fit a cabinet\safe under the top board. Once bolted down to the frame, with notches cut for struts, a latch was added, so the top of the bed hinges up, revealing the cabinet, on it's back, door up, underneath. About a dozen tabs around the downhill side of the matress, keep it from sliding off.

you may also want to check out this comapny.

https://tacticalwalls.com/

14. K0rN_b4LL

K0rN_b4LL New Member

I don't really wanna mess with the walls at all if I can avoid it. The drywall in this place is pretty flimsy anyway. I had a framed Viper poster hanging on a hook and not two hours after I put it up it pulled the hook out of the wall and fell. (hook was there when I moved in btw, not my fault) I was gonna put it next to my dresser so maybe I can bolt whatever I get to that.

*Scratch that, the side of the dresser has different widths for the top and bottom parts and the trim in the middle sticks out so it won't do. Maybe I could just use my old bookcase.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  15. Dallas53

another option is to get a piece of furniture that doesn't look like a gun locker. (deception!) and rig it with heavy eye bolts inside and secure all the guns with a heavy duty cable and lock.

if a thief is determined enough, they will steal your stuff. your best defense is to slow them down, or to make it more time consuming than they are willing to expend and move on to a easier target. and it starts at the front door and windows. secure them first. denying them entry in the first place is your first line of defense. the second is concealment and deception. thye can't steal what they can't find.

JRDallas likes this.
  16. FAS1

FAS1 Active Member

If I lived in an apartment I would buy a modular safe. Your neighbors will just think you went shopping at IKEA :D

This is the only brand I would buy: http://zanottiarmor.com/

When it comes to theft, a customer of mine sent me this a wile back regarding his experience with his gun cabinet:

Jack Ryan and Dallas53 like this.
  17. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Well-Known Member

In a 3rd floor apartment and can't bolt anything to the structure.

So take advantage of what you do have. Neighbors. Get two safes. Easier to get up there one at a time. Open them up and bolt them together in a way they won't fit out the door so they have to be opened up there. Gonna make a lot of noise and it is gonna take more time.

You can put an alarm INSIDE the safe so it can't be cut or defeated until the door is opened and by then it should have already called the police, even if they are cheap and easy to open it should still have time to dial a number and report in.

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

In round numbers, you have about $1500-$1700 worth of guns, depending on your AR. Rather than spend $1000-$2000 to protect your guns (safe, alarms) in a property you will only be in for a short time, check on renter's insurance. I was working a lot in an area outside of commuting distance, rented a house- and got $15,000 in renter's insurance from USAA for about $160 a year. Covered guns, furniture clothing, pots and pans, etc.

IMPORTANT- check any policy you buy for the amount of a deductible (mine was $100 per claim) and limitations (some policies cap guns and accessories at $2 grand).

Dallas53 and Jack Ryan like this.
  19. 1911NUT

1911NUT Well-Known Member

All above suggestions are good advise, But also consider this, The 3rd floor is not as easily accessible as the 1st or even 2nd floor. Most would be dirtbags won't bother with it, if there is lower hanging fruit.
    Just another thing to consider.

Dallas53 and Jack Ryan like this.
  20. Dallas53

Mr. C3 brought up a good point about renter's insurance, and the policies regarding guns. this is why it's best to shop around for renter's insurance.

also if the policy does cap the claim on guns, get some supplemental gun insurance from the NRA as well. their cap goes higher IIRC.

JRDallas likes this.