Safe Mounting

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by mikiep, Jan 31, 2013.

1. mikiep

mikiep New Member

I'm wanting to mount a safe in the master bedroom closet. I'm in the process of installing new floors and an idea for mounting came to mind. Since the floors are down to concrete now I was thinking instead of drilling through the concrete to mount a safe I was wondering what you guys thought about concreting it to the floor. I don't know if I'm putting to much thought into it but, was wondering if maybe the cold moist concrete would eventually have adverse condition to the safe or if the dampness from the concrete would penetrate the safe. Any thoughts. Thanks

2. AR10

AR10 New Member

Some safes are made to be set and or surrounded in concrete. Cash drop safes come to mind where the door is round, and heavy, and sits below the level of the floor. Pretty sure you are not talking about that kind.

Most small safes are bolted to a floor, wall, something, to keep them from walking away.

Welcome to the forum!

3. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I believe you want a layer of something between the concrete and safe to prevent it from rusting. Plywood seems to be popular probably because it's so cheap and not high enough to allow a prybar to get a lot of leverage.

4. mikiep

mikiep New Member

Your right, I didn't even think about having something between the safe and concrete since this idea just popped into my head today and I haven't had the chance to plan it out completely yet.
    More ideas and thoughts please.

5. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

Mine is on carpet now but before when we had the old one in the garage we went to the ag store and bought that thick 1" rubber matt that horses stand on and cut it in half and double stacked it under the safe.

6. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

My safe weighs enough that if someone wants to carry it out of the house they earned it.

7. bdaniel9892

bdaniel9892 New Member

Well since you offered, i guess I could come give it a try... ;D

8. austin92

austin92 New Member

I'll help ya lol

9. bdaniel9892

bdaniel9892 New Member

Perfect! Ive got a forklift. Shouldnt take too much. Unless hes got some some kind of underground bunker with 10 feet of cement for walls.

10. Vasa1628

Vasa1628 New Member

Do not drill through the floor but into it.there are many very good construction adhesives that you can also use. Using them does not allow any use of a pry.You had better realize that this is very permanent.Also keep that areas humidity at 50% and you should not have to worry. vasa1628

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

11. byxlaw

byxlaw Member Supporter

Plywood tends to accumulate moisture. I would use a sheet of plain plastic (saw a 8'x4' in among panels in Home Depot), or aluminum sheet. Nothing fancy, just a moisture barrier.

12. Vasa1628

Vasa1628 New Member

Another idea came to me,Rustoleum makes spray on rubber coating that would be perfect.Spray the area that the safe will sit on.then allow it to dry be careful not to scrape it while setting the safe in place.Set the safe on 2 or 3 pic rollers to get it in place.Then remove each roller by tilting the safe.If you use a construction adhesive as I mentioned before it should also be a seal.The pic rollers are also very easy to use getting the safe around in the house.If you have to go over carpet lay down some plastic,cover with plywood and fool it in.The rollers can be angled to turn it as required.Size of rollers depends on safe weight. vasa1628
    sorry that should be PVC rollers.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  13. FAS1

FAS1 Member

^^^ I like this idea. I would spray the bottom of the safe. I think it would create enough of a barrier if it adheres well.

14. Warlock999

Warlock999 New Member

a concrete bit and concrete anchor bolts if sitting on a concrete floor.

large lag bolts if the floor is wood.

15. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

When I moved my bigger safe to my brothers house I used (4) 3/4" diameter HILTI quick bolts to bolt it to the foundation. It's not a light safe by any means. At least 500 lbs I would imagine. When his house got broken into and ransacked a couple years ago there were pry marks all around the safe on the floor but it didn't budge one bit. And if you end up moving in the future you can just unbolt it and cut the quick bolts off flush with the pad and re carpet the area. HILTI makes inset anchors as well but the main reason I didn't use them is because if your hole is a little bit wallered out or you didn't set it right they have the tendency to come out.

16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You would be using grout or mortar to mount your safe. Neither sticks to concrete very well. One man with a good hand cart and a motorcycle/4 wheeler trailer can just take your safe away. Bolt the safe to the floor. Do not try to reinvent the wheel.

I just helped a friend put in a 26 gun Liberty safe. We used my motorcycle trailer to get the safe to the front door. Once we go the safe in the house I slid the safe on comforters by myself to the place where he wanted it. I am not in very good health. A healthy man can easily steal an improperly mounted gun safe, all by himself.

17. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Bolt steel legs flat on the bottom made of Unistrut thet are wider than the door opening. Unless you get the safe open, you wont get the bolts out. also gives you something to chain other items to.

18. Dakota1

Dakota1 Active Member

My Cannon safe has been bolted to the concrete foundation for 15 years & it's in an empty closet. No rust problems. I do keep a bag of dessicant in it.