Firearms Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up in a family of boxing fans. I remember when there was only one "world champion" in each weight division and championship fights were on regular television on a regular basis. The Heavyweight Championship was maybe the greatest sports title of all of them. Now boxing is a joke. There are several so-called "world champions" in each division. Most people, even hardcore sports fans, don't know who even one of the heavyweight champions are, nor do they care. Fans have to pay big bucks to see any championship fights on pay-per-view. Even non-championship fights are on pay-per-view. Greed and corruption by the promoters has ruined this once-noble sport. There was a time when fighters competed honorably, as this clip shows. This is what I consider the best round of heavyweight boxing ever, and it was on free TV.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IupyEYB-27c[/ame]

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
You're 100% correct about that...Pacqiao losing the other night may have been the straw that broke the camel's back...(I say he was robbed). The sweet science will never be the same and now we have this MMA crap...[ducks flying fruit and beer cans]...

We can all thank Don King and the Federation's outright refusal to unite all the belts.

Gone are the days of Ali/Norton/Foreman/Frazier...(never liked Larry Holmes). No more Hagler/Leonard/Hearns, as Roberto Duran would say...no mas, no mas. :mad:

Most vicious fight I ever saw was Ray (Boom Boom) Mancini vs. Doo Koo Kim...tragic outcome but daaaaaaaamn what a fight.

·
Administrator
34,293 Posts
Gone are the days of Ali/Norton/Foreman/Frazier...(never liked Larry Holmes). No more Hagler/Leonard/Hearns, as Roberto Duran would say...no mas, no mas. :mad:
Yes, this.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Boxing has been gone for a long time now!!! Your new boxing is MMA. I use to watch boxing when Tyson was around. I always loved watching Hasr/Leonard fight each other! I for one can not tell you one boxing champ!!! The Paquio fight was a lie, but maybe that was revenge for when "Sweet Pea" kicked the crap out of Chavez down in Mexico and didn't get the victory!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boxing has been gone for a long time now!!! Your new boxing is MMA. I use to watch boxing when Tyson was around. I always loved watching Hasr/Leonard fight each other! I for one can not tell you one boxing champ!!! The Paquio fight was a lie, but maybe that was revenge for when "Sweet Pea" kicked the crap out of Chavez down in Mexico and didn't get the victory!!!!!!!
Oh....I remember that fight well. Sweet Pea gave Chavez a boxing lesson all night long. At the end of the fight Chavez's head was hanging down in the look of defeat. They called this fight a draw, which was an absolute injustice and disgrace. Well, they were fighting in San Antonio, which might have had something to do with the decision.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
BlueTurf said:
Oh....I remember that fight well. Sweet Pea gave Chavez a boxing lesson all night long. At the end of the fight Chavez's head was hanging down in the look of defeat. They called this fight a draw, which was an absolute injustice and disgrace. Well, they were fighting in San Antonio, which might have had something to do with the decision.
Oh I thought it was in Mexico, my fault!! Yea Sweet Pea whooped him up and down!!! That's why I like what Dana White says in the UFC "Don't let it go to the judges cards!!!"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts