Sacrifices Made for Independence

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dunerunner, Jul 3, 2009.

1. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

---The 4th of July - Why we Celebrate---

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence ?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors and tortured before they died.

Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.
    Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.

Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated, but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured. Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown , Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.

2. fapprez

fapprez New Member

I never knew all this. Always wondered, though. Thanks for bringing it to light and sharing.

3. dukech1

dukech1 New Member

Good find Dune! I wonder how many Americans today would make such sacrifices?

4. caniswalensis

caniswalensis New Member

Here is a link to an article that gives a detailed critique of this piece:

snopes.com: Signers of Declaration of Independence

While not all the claims are strictly true, that does not subtract from the greater truth that the signers were very brave and faced considerable danger for doing what they did.

Regards, Canis

5. orangello

orangello New Member

I gotta say, considering that the group was almost 50% lawyers, that is even more impressive; lawyers must have changed a good bit over the years.

Bismark, thanks for fighting on behalf of those of us who didn't have to because you did.

6. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Roger that! Soldiers often must follow orders that they may have mixed concerns about, but their respect, discipline, and honor carry it through mission accomplishment.

Good post and educational Dune. :)

7. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

Great post. I never knew they had it that bad. I look forward to serving my country, and thanks to all who have served or are serving.

8. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

All were great men. All are rolling over in their graves.

9. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Bismark:

Thank you for your service. Thank you for your lost blood, shed in the nation's service, regardless how you feel about the conflict now. I have done nothing as noble, and I respect your sacrifice.

Greatest Regards,

TXnorton