Sabots range drop?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by paul, Jul 18, 2012.

1. paul

paul New Member

The remington premeiers copper, 10z. 1450fps range drop is 23" at 50yds according to the box. I'm hope this isn't the specs for a rifled barrel shooting them. I've read on this forum replies of folks getting 4"- 6" groups at 100yds when using sabots in fully rifled barrels. Would that, to you more experienced "sabot shooters" sound corret? 6" groups at 100yds?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

23" sounds like and awful lot. When I was playing shooting 12 gauge slugs at 50 yards I would guess it was closer to 6" drop. Just guessing though. I remember I could take out a soda can at 50 yards pretty easy.

3. paul

paul New Member

sabot range and drop

A soda can at 50yds sounds very reasonable. I would definitely like to count on getting a clean 100yd shot out. /anymore than 100yds, well, I'm cool with letting the deer "walk". I've hunted over 45years so I don't have buck fever or anything. Just like to make a clean one shot kill without damaging bunch of meat. I wanna get my trapping license and pest removal certification, so I can possibly make some dollars eradicating coyotes and nuisance and/or predator critters within city limits area. Thank you for a reply

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Think you may find that the "drop" is with a perfectly level barrel- which is rarely, if ever used. At 1450 fps, it will take about 0.103 second for the slug to travel 150 ft, right? Things fall at 32 fps, right? then that drop would be about right.

HOWEVER- the gun is not fired with the barrel perfectly level, the line of the bore is elevated above horizontal- not just for shotgun, but ANY firearm.

As long as the drop is CONSISTENT from one shot to the next, you will have a reproducible shot- and a tolerably small group. If you have zeroed sights at 50 yards, APPARENT drop would be zero.

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

"Things fall at 32 fps, right? "

I believe they fall about 300 fps

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Hiwall- you might want to check that. 300 fps was about terminal velocity in a free fall jump, when jumper is tucked in and streamlined. Acceleration under 1 gravity is 32 ft per second/ second, or 9.81 meters/ second squared. About 384 INCHES per second.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Can we both be right? It depends on how long the object has been falling. You are correct the acceleration is 32 ft/sec/sec but the terminal velocity for bullets is around 300 fps

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Damn you guys just made a 50 yard shot sound like rocket science. Lol
    32 fps sounds about right. To guess the water level in a well I used to drop a rock and count seconds to splash and just call it 25'/sec. Close enough for that. I don't miss well work.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Gravity is constant. It pulls down at 32.2 feet per second per second (32.2 fps/s). Air resistance also acts on the bullet by slowing it down almost immediatly after it leaves the barrel. Terminal velocity has little or nothing to do with this. I do not even know how that became a topic of discussion. We are not talking about shooting a bullet straight up in the air.

10. paul

paul New Member

sabots range

Hahaha, thanks guys, really. I understand things better at 2" drop at 50yds, 4" drop at 100yds and so on. But, i am enjoying a refresher in physics and math. Plus, it's good to get a reply from knowledgeable people, which happens on this forum alot thank goodness. This is a veryuser friendly forum 99% of the time.

11. Retaks

Retaks New Member

I tryed those slugs and didnt get great groups with them from my Mossberg 835 but my dads Mossberg 500 loved them. If it was dialed in at 50 yards i was 2" low at 100 yards, and about 7" low at 150 yards.

12. Theblakester

Theblakester New Member

I prefer the hornady SST sabot slugs. They shoot about 2000 fps. With my 870, a rifled barrel and scope I can shoot 4 inch groups at 100 yds

13. paul

paul New Member

sabots

I would like 4" groups at 100yds with my 870 fully rifled 20". Hornadys SST's are known for quality as well as cost, :). I'll try some lower cost brennke's, I only have 3", and Remington 2 3/4 premium coppers. Hopefully I'll have some information within a couple of weeks.

14. Theblakester

Theblakester New Member

I used to shoot the remington accutips but they're $$$$

15. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

i guess you need to pattern some and report back theres to many varibles in this conversation

16. Theblakester

Theblakester New Member

When I zero my scope at 50 yds it's about 2 inches high at 100 yds

17. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

If you go by the drop rate printed on the Hornady SST box you will be darn close. I dont have one where I am atm but using my Redfield shotgun reticle im dead on at 100 and 150yds. My father has a Rem 870 Cantilever barrel from the late 80s-early 90s and his doesnt like the SSTs but the one I bought last fall loves them. His 870 likes the Remington slugs with the lime green plastic tip. I think thats 2.3" at 50yds not 23".

Badshot

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  18. Theblakester

Theblakester New Member

The green tips are the accutips by Remington. I think they're usually sold in 3 inch rounds. 385 grains at 2000 fps. The only thing I didn't like about them other than the price is the way they expand. They mushroom out huge and do massive damage but it's a rounded soft surface lead so it doesn't penetrate all the way through and exit the body so there would be no blood trail. I would always find the slug under the skin in the pigs I shot. Big and small. I switched to the ssts bc they have better penetration and I can blood track a lung shot pig that runs 50 yds and drops in the night. I almost lost a 250 lb boar with 3 inch cutters because I couldn't ind a blood trail to track him. He ran 100 yds and died. 30 minutes later my buddy luckily stumbled upon him dead in the brush up under a cedar.

19. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

Yes the Accutips. The old man shoots the 2 3/4s, they are slower then the SSTs (1800ish if I remember right) not sure about the 3in. Far as pass thrus thats a whole nother argument. IMO a pass thru = bad. I want that deer to take the full impact of the slug and all the hydrallic(spelling isnt one of my finer points) shock. I love the Lightfield slugs, they seem to shoot good in most rifled barrels and hit like a truck but drop like rocks past 100yds. The old Winchester Hi-impacts were great slugs, especially if you like pass thrus. Anyone have any experience with the Barnes ballistic tips?

Badshot