SAA Clone Won't Range

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Hill_Country_Gunsmith, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Hill_Country_Gunsmith

Hill_Country_Gunsmith New Member

I have a Uberti Colt SAA in my shop that will not range, i.e. the cylinder is not lining up with the bore properly. I make my living working on these things but this one seriously has me stumped. I have tried too many repair options to list. Any help would be appreciated.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I had something like that come through. The "hand"/"pawl" was not the proper length for indexing the cylinder correctly (a tad too long in my case). Someone put a different hand in that was the wrong part, so first cursory look did not see anything obviously broken.
    Do you have any pictures?
    (Oh, we also ask that new members stop by the "Introductions" area and say "HI")

3. Hill_Country_Gunsmith

Yeah, I've shortened the hand to facilitate the revolvernot traveling as far clockwise but this just creates a lot of cylinder wobble when the gun is cocked. I' also tried fitting 2 new bolts...

4. danf_fl

How is the cylinder end play?

5. danf_fl

Is it possible that the cylinder is not original?

6. Hill_Country_Gunsmith

I also replaced the cylinder which was unnecessary because it has the exact same dimensions as the original. I thought the bolt stop notches might be machined incorrectly. The throats on the cylinder are actually oversize so it's not that the front holes are too small. Also, the bore and forcing cone look good and the frame is not bent. Told you it had me stumped... I'm going back to the shop to try again.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Welcome Hill Coutry - This is not my area, but we have a couple of revolver guru's on the board that might be able to help.

I have sent up the flare, so they should be stopping by shortly.

JD

8. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Have you already tried replacing the hand and cyl latch? Is the latch securely locking the cyl when you rotate it by hand? If so then you need a longer pawl. Try bending the pawl and see if that helps. It sounds like a simple timing problem. Please let me know what all you've done so far. Also is the cyl dead in the middle of the frame? What about the base pin? Is the pawl slot in the frame in exactly the right place? Feel free to PM me.

9. danf_fl

10. Hill_Country_Gunsmith

Ok, so far I have tried everything I know, something I made up and spent at least 5-6 hours working on this thing. It is only partially fixed now.

When I put the range rod down the bore it goes through the cylinder but only after bumping it over. I put a steel shim inside the fram to limit the bolt's movement left to right and the worked brilliantly by stopping it from moving but not to solve the ranging problem.

I have tried a new hand and shortened the second stage on the original. I have also removed some metal off of the right side of the hand so that it wouldn't push on the cylinder at full cock. So, better but not best yet.

By the way, I would include pictures but I don't have a camera available right now. Thanks for all your help. I'm going to try again tomorrow and hopefully I'll be holding my mouth right.....

11. danf_fl

I am interested how this works out. Just curious. If these are all original parts, what changed to create the problem? Or what parts have been changed?

12. Hill_Country_Gunsmith

I don't really know how long this problem has been going on. According to the serial number this is an older gun. There are people, however, who own these guns for a year or more before even firing them. So far the only new parts that are still in the gun are the cylinder and the bolt. I have also tried a new hand but it didn't seem to matter.

13. danf_fl

With the hand pivoting on a point on the hammer, could it be that the hammer is the culprit? Maybe someone tried a different hammer and got the wrong one?

14. danf_fl

15. Hill_Country_Gunsmith

I have learned a lot from this experience. Misalignment from the cylinder to the bore is the most difficult problem to fix on a revolver. In the end, this is usually caused by a mis-machined frame and requires very expensive and time consuming repairs. I did get the alignment closer on this particular gun than it was when I received it. Interestingly enough, the gun still delivered serviceable (read: factory) accuracy. I feel much better about how much I now know about this problem.

I am Cimarron Firearms primary warranty station and we have determined to replace guns with this problem in the future. They don't want to shell out $300 for a repair on a $600 (retail) gun and I don't blame them.