sa... dao... sa/da?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by BeyondTheBox, Nov 30, 2011.

1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

So explain some things to a noob and correct me if i'm wrong...

Single action... Do you have to cock it every shot like a revolver, or does the semi-auto part of it take care of that? And if such is the case then do you only cock the hammer the first time each mag, or is that the description of SA/DA?

DAO... Every trigger pull performs two actions, the hammer cock and firing?

If what I described first is correct about SA,.and isn't sa/da then what the poop is it?

2. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Basically, I don't every want anything I have to cock every shot, or I'd get a lame revolver. Im digging a 1911 I was turned onto but pretty sure its SA, and I just don't understand the difference between it and the sa/da.

3. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Single action does have to be cocked every time. But just like you thought.. when it is semi auto it will cock itself with each discharge as the slide moves back. too be honest im not entirely sure about all 1911 platforms being single action and I am curious to know myself if there is a DA 1911. If anyone could please elaborate? I do believe some of the early revolvers were single action only.

Double action will fire when cocked or not. You will have different trigger pulls between the two. And most modern revolvers are DA.

4. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

So what's sa/da and, furthermore, what's the point of it?

5. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Single action double action

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

DAO cannot be cocked before firing. My ParaOrdnance is DAO- do not bother trying to thumb back the hammer. Standard 1911A1 is SA, thumb hammer back first shot, cocks itself after first shot. P38 is SA/DA, you CAN thumb cock it for first shot, or just pull trigger. Most DA pistols are not quite as accurate on that first shot due to long trigger pull. Paras are an exception, due to LDA design,

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

DA/SA 1911? IMHO that would make it something other than a 1911, but Colt Double Eagle

8. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Single Action: The hammer has to be cocked in some way or fashion.

Single Action Revolver: The hammer is manually cocked with the person's thumb.

Single Action Semi Automatic: The hammer can be cocked be pulling the slide back to chamber a round from the magazine or if a round is already chambered, but the hammer is not cocked you can manually cock it with you thumb. After each round is fired the slide recoils to the rear of the pistol ejecting the spent cartridge and then moving forward chambering a new cartridge from the magazine.

Double Action: The trigger mechanism can operate two ways. It can be manually cocked in a single action fashion or the trigger can be pulled to cock the hammer and fire the round at the same time.

Double Action Only: The hammer is concealed within the frame of the firearm and can only be operated by the trigger being pulled to cock the internal hammer and fire the round at the same time.

Double Action Revolvers: They operate by either the external hammer being manually cocked or by the trigger being pulled, which rotates the cylinder, cocks the hammer, and firing the cartridge at the same time.

Double Action Only Revolvers: Operate the same way as a regular double action revolver, but the hammer is concealed so it can only be fired double action.

Double Action Only Semi Automatics: Operate the same way as a regular semi automatic, except they can only be fired in a double action fashion.

Double/Single Action Semi Automatics: The trigger mechanism can operate just like a double action revolver. The only difference is that pulling the slide back to the rear and then moving it forward still ejects and chambers a round, but on a lot of them they have a decocker, which means the saftey when engaged decocks the hammer safely. The hammer can then be cocked in a double action fashion. Once the firearm is fired the slide moving to the rear and forward ejecting and chambering a new cartridge cocks the hammer so it can be fired in a single action manner.

9. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Wow... Really? Lol

Thanks to the others of you who actually took the time to explain, seems as my guesses were, mostly, pretty spot on.

10. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I feel ashamed for even making a response after this one. Lol.

11. vincent

vincent New Member

Good post! A little humility goes a long way!! :D

12. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

It is the exact reason I joined this forum.. for whatever information I may THINK that I know, theres is always more to be learned.

13. vincent

vincent New Member

Wow! You're on a roll today!! +1

14. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The SAO rarely requires any manual use of the hammer, because the slide will cock it in each repetition...and it'll also do so when racking the slide to chamber the first round. Almost all SAO semi-autos have manual safeties so that they can safely be carried with the hammer cocked.

It's not uncommon for a DA/SA to replace the manual safety with a decocker (Sig P226/229) so that it can safely be decocked with a round in the chamber and then carried with a heavy initial trigger pull. Each following pull will then be a lighter, crisper SA pull for follow-up shots...as the slide resets the hammer each repetition. And of course you can make the first shot light as well, by manually cocking the hammer.

So for a couple guns I keep at the ready:

BHP (SAO)- Insert loaded mag, rack the slide (chambers round, cocks hammer), lock the thumb safety.

Sig P226 (DA/SA)- Insert loaded mag, rack the slide (round chambered, hammer cocked), then decock hammer.

15. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

So for those of us who are not as smart as Sweeper;), essentially the first shot is double action with a heavier trigger pull and every shot after is single action. And being semi-auto you don't have to pull the hammer each shot after the first.