SA 1911 recoil question

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by EMTchad, Aug 1, 2011.

1. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Hi guys, quick question please! When i shoot my 1911 45 at 25 yards, am I suppose to lock my arm straight and let the recoil just ride? I thought I was suppose to hold down the recoil as I shoot..

2. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

First let me say, what works for me may not work for you, so my way is just, a way not the way.
    Starting with the grip, tight but not overly tight, ( do you shoot with thumbs up, forward, one on top of the other? Suggestion, strong hand thumb relaxed, resting on safety (1911) support hand thumb also relaxed next to strong thumb, strong side elbow slightly bent, support side elbow pointing to the ground.
    give this a try see if you like it. with that said, control the recoil don't "ride" it. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd22YdY0wRA[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

3. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

also take a look at this one angain , as you can see some difference.[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm9uG5bPubw]‪Travis Haley on Handgun Grip‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

4. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Wow thank you dude that one helped me out alot, I can't wait till I practice the 100% move

5. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I'm not gonna knock anybodies methods, but I just let recoil happen. If you limp wrist some guns, they tend to jam because the lack holding it steady for the action to cycle. You can try adjusting your stance to allow the recoil to travel through into the ground or allow your body to take the shock. Remember governor Ventura, 2 hands placed firmly on the gun for good "gun control". Another thing that works for me that is kind of unusual, I'll go to the gym and hit weights lightly, eat a protein meal(not so much that you're bloated), and then go shoot. The excursive will increase your confidence, endorphins, endurance, and strength to hold the gun and shoot, and the protein will aid in making you hold steady.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

IMO, trying to stop the recoil can lead to involuntary reaction of "pushing" the firearm (especially with a new shooter).

Let the recoil happen, but let the firearm settle down into the original position after it happens.

7. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

So as long as the recoil travels straight up and nicely.. I will have to try both methods. Everyone seems to make perfect sense.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

With more practice, you will get to the point that recoil can help with the second shot.

9. alxltd1

alxltd1 New Member

What I have found is that there is a balance to be struck where your grip is firm enough to let the slide travel straight back, ejecting the brass without issue and then settling back on target without excess lift. It will be a trial and error of grip and stance until the individual finds what best works for them and the gun functions well. Anticipating the recoil will lead to pushing forward and down as mentioned. Practice is what will help the most. Good luck.

10. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Man.. I put about 120 rounds in today. Zero fails still, that's 420 rounds now with zero fails since a purchased it. Seems like I need alot more practice. My groupings are okay at 25 yards but I still get some retarded shots way off. I'm going to try resting my thumb on the safety next time and see what Happens like he said on the second video

11. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Most of the time when you're throwing shots off, it's your trigger squeeze. You could be jerking it here and there and not realize it. My dad taught me an old army acronym BRASS.
    Breath(steady your breathes)
    Relax(relax your body and get into a comfortable stance)
    Aim(self explanatory)
    Slack(take up the slack or slop in the trigger until you can feel the breaking point)
    Squeeze(squeeze the trigger, don't jerk it)
    Try this dry firing to get a feel for breaking point and try it at the range slowly until you feel comfy doing it fast.
    I blade my body shooting side further from the target(right hand) and support side towards the target. That leaves my strong hand with a slight bend in elbow and support arm bent more, after that I start shooting.

12. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Try standing like you were going to box with somebody and get a comfy grip and control your breathing and trigger squeeze, you'll be ok.

13. Wambli

Wambli Member

You can either control recoil or let recoil control you. A well trained shooter does the first. Here is a picture of my daughter firing a .41 Mag with full power loads. That is about as high as she would let that muzzle rise because her hands, arms, shoulders and body are all working together to absorb recoil.
    [​IMG]

BTW she is a very well trained and excellent shot. This is the correct body position to make it all work.
    [​IMG]

14. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Thank you azn and wombli, your daughter looks like she shoots like a pro with massive amount of practice! Thank you so much for sharing

15. Wambli

Wambli Member

The girl is scary good but I put a handgun in her hand at 6 years old and she has never been allowed to screw up since. She has benefited from exceedingly good training and she is also passionate about shooting. And you are right about massive amounts of ammo. We normally show up at the range with 50 cal ammo cans full of 9mm, 40 S&W and .45 acp and try our darnedest to empty them :D

Good luck and good shooting!

16. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

My daughter is only 5 months old, but I hope she likes shooting as much as me. Because daddy I waiting for his new sig 45 and I bought her a sig 229 elite 40 for her birthday. I think she'll like shooting cause when I take her to bass pro or cabelas she smiles when I stroll her by the gun counter, the rest of the time there she just sits there.

17. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Hahaha that's adorable

18. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I'll start her on a sig mosquito and 22 lr rifle, then it's all centerfire. I'm thinkj g 5 or 6 is a good age to start.

So how is SA loaded working out, let see some pics. I love SA.

19. Wambli

Wambli Member

Well I can tell you that if she likes to shoot you'll have a lot of good hours of father/daughter fun times to remember in your old age.

20. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I am so looking forward to it, I'm kind of going threw a Sig phase right now. I am waiting on my 220 Platinum Elite to get here, and that'll be my last sig. I'm start my first AR build soon and after that it's back to what my dad got me hooked on, "1911". What's good for the goose is good for the gander, so my little will have a 1911 also. My girlfriend is upset at me because I want to guns for my daughter and when we have more kids I'll buy guns for them to.