SA 1911 loaded horrible accuracy??

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by SnakeDoctor, Mar 28, 2011.

1. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor New Member

So i recently got a SA 1911 loaded and ive put less than 300 rounds through it and the first range trip was bad i was way low and i figured it was just me the second trip i was much happier 3rd trip bad as in nothing close to center no matter where i aimed always low and left so today the 4th trip i asked the RO if they had something to bench rest with and he asked why so i explained and he asked if i had adjustble sights and it doesnt so he was confused he watched me shoot the 1911 and sure enough low and left and i tried my xd-9 and low left he laughed and said it was me and he asked to shoot it and he shot the 1911 and was like 6 inches low and he bench shot and low left he was dumbfounded and said i should take it to a gun smith but my question is is there anything that can be done by springfield i dont want a gun that wont shoot POA at any distance thats stupid might as well not have sights so can anyone give me some tips sorry for the lengthy post just wonna get everything i can in. Ill post the bench shot target in a minute.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

[​IMG]

its prolly both of ya. just resting it on a bench isnt a good test. you would need a machine rest. i am inclined to say its you and him both.

3. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor New Member

here is the target 7 yds bench rest 3 rounds are from my xd-9 the really low ones are the range officers shot while standing

Attached Files:

4. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor New Member

Ive heard its could also be the trigger weight is that so? on sunday im taking it back to the range because one of the employees is a competition 1911 shooter so ill see what he has to say but i dont like the trigger pull it goes from rock hard solid to bang

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

one other thing just cuz he is a RO doesnt mean he knows how to shoot. jerking the trigger is a very common issue and that leads to consistant low left hits. have a buddy load the gun for you while your not looking and at some point he should not load a round so you dont know if its gonna go off or not it will tell ya exactly what your doing in very positive feedback.

6. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor New Member

that is true i guess ill just have to wait till sunday and have someone who definatley knows what their doing give it a go...its times like these i hate being impatient about things i dont want it to be the gun because at the price its should be POA up to 25 yds just like the manual says

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

patience young jedi :) i really doubt its the new gun. but if it turns out to be the case springfield will rectify it. they have superb customer support.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats what the trigger is supposed to do on a 1911. without touching it myself i would say you got a good one out of the box. no creep is a positive thing. but no trigger weight isnt a factor. my ww2 ithaca 1911A1 has a terribly stiff trigger around 8-9 pounds but its the most accurate handgun i have

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

While it's not likely, it is possible that it is the gun. My Loaded Longslide also shot quite low out of the box. It has adjustable sights so I had to raise the rear sight a considerable amount to get it shooting to POA. Once I was absolutely certain it was the gun and not me, I filed down the front sight and then I could lower the rear sight to where it should be.

Once you absolutely determine the gun is the culprit, you can indeed send it to Springer OR you can do as I did and file down the front sight and drift the rear sight slightly. This being said, based on your target I'd guess the gun is OK and technique needs some work...

10. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor New Member

i will send it in before i try to wittle away at the sight because its a trijicon night sight so i wouldnt wanna do something bad

11. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor New Member

Ok im just hypothesizing various ideas because everyone wants to assume right off the bat its the shooter but for 3 people so far its been off target and thats stupid to even make a gun that doesnt shoot straight for at least 25 yds but i like your grouping hopefully i can pull off something like that with this gun soon :D

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Many of make this assumption because we ourselves have been there. Nobody likes to think their technique is flawed, it makes us feel better if it's the guns fault. It takes lots of practice and a lot of rounds downrange to develop yourself into a "good" shot with consistent technique. When I started, if I hit the target at all I was pretty happy and I just kept working on my technique until it became second nature.

I've helped a lot of beginners and 90% of the time they blame the gun when they don't achieve the desired outcome. I have seen new guns that actually had accuracy problems - but it's a very rare occurrence. If a truly experienced pistol shooter has the same results - it may be the gun. BTW, this is what I achieved with a no-name $400 1911: This target is 25 rounds, fired in 45 seconds at 10 yards with 2 mag changes. I post this so you know I actually can shoot a 1911 pretty well (some days)...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  13. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor New Member

Nice shooting! i just dont get why on my second range trip i had much better shots yet the 3rd and 4th were just awful i just hope i can get past this bump in the road soon

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

How long have you been shooting and has your technique "stabilized"?

I've been doing this for quite a few years and my stance, grip, and sight picture are second nature to me. There are a lot of variables in play for consistent accurate shooting and it takes time to settle in - especially with a new gun...

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

i will second what NGIB said. it takes years to get really good and im no where near that level. this is true for any handgun. lots of times my targets look like i been blasting away with a shotgun :) ive been shooting centerfire handguns since around 1988 and only in the last few years has it really started to come together.

going back to your original posting what makes me highly suspect its a technique thing is you had the same result on a different gun.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  16. Hollander

Hollander New Member

If you figure out it may be the gun do not be afraid to call Springfield. They are just super and friendly. They will email you a shipping label, you pack it up and send it. They have very fast and efficient turnaround. I just recently had to send in an Ultra Compact Stainless .45 and an EMP40. One week for the 45 and it came back with a new mag as well. Week and a half for the Emp and they discovered the front sight was dead so replaced that as well. I wish I had started out with Springers because they would have a customer for life - they already do with me but it will be a much shorter time since I am already 69. Good Luck. Springer customer service is fabulous.

17. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

SnakeDoctor,

Springfield in deed will assist with the problem if it turns out to be the pistol's.
    By the way JonM. Nice 1911 you have there! Have you had her for a while?

18. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor New Member

I havent really been shooting long 2 years is about it and at first i just was having fun but now im serious about it and i have what i feel is a stable technique since all my other guns give me no problems just the 1911.Tomorrow im taking it to a gunsmith and have him look at the barrel and have him test fire it so hopefully he can recommend my next move

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks :) its a 1944 ithaca all original. ive had it for two years now. it eats everything havent found a HP round it wont feed and it feeds empty cases. if it wasnt such an old warhorse hard to find pricey to replace it would be my everyday handgun. i put the hammer sear disconnector and sear spring in it from my springfield and its a dreamboat to shoot. but with the original parts you could use the trigger to pull a trailer lol. the barrel barely has any lands or grooves left but it hasnt effected the accuracy any.

20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Snake, what's your AO? Perhaps we know someone close who can meet you for a range day?

If you are in the PNW, Seattle Area or 100 miles in vicinty, I would be happy to meet up with you and trade you some range time with one of my 1911's and see if it is your weapon.

JD